Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: k7vat by lucky star update??

k7vat by lucky star update??

hello,

The following is the board info:
    10/12/2000-8363-686A-6A6LML19C-00

VIA VT8363 (KT-133) chip set Award Bios V6.00PGN
    Manufacturer: Lucky Star

i need to update my bios, but cant find the latest one, please give me some links...
    Thank you for the support.

Wink

Hehe, you're lucky I was in the process of looking up RMAs, Virus detail sheets, and other information and put your bios in the search. This link will be for your bios: http://bios.rom.by/LS/K7VAT/K7VAT_ver_05.rar
    This link is the page is came from: http://bios.rom.by/LS/
    Seems the manufacturers are out of business so you may be limited on what you find out there for downloads on this.

hope theyre ok
    anyway thanks

You're welcome and good luck. By the way do you know how to update a bios? If not let us know and we'll tell you about what you should and shouldn't do.

i cant update a bios. please explain.
    the links above contain a BIN file only...no readme.txt

help me guys

Well one you should look into the advice OMG stated. If you are needing drivers and not a bios update that's an entirely different thing. Also I provided you with the information because when one asks for the BIOS update that generally means they know what they're doing and know what the problem is. I can answer your question but before you proceed I want to have you answer a few questions.
    1. What prompted you to need a BIOS update?
    2. What problems are you having with the computer?
    3. Do you know what a BIOS update does?
    The reasons we need these answered is because if you install the bios update you really can't undo it. Not to mention if for any reason the BIOS update is interrupted or corrupted it turns the motherboard useless unless you have a spare BIOS chip around that is made for that exact model board. Seeing how the company is out of business that's a risk you don't want to take.

i have a new hard disk seagate barracuda 320 GB, but in the boot screen the bios shows 136 GB only (there is a size limiting).
    i have installed XP pro sp2 on a partition that is 150 GB. now that i try to partition the unallocated space, i get ACCESS DENIED on that new partition(when i click it in explorer).
    i tried many times to partition, with xp disk management and gparted live cd...but they gave me the same result.

so i think a bios update could fix this hard disk size limiting..

please help me guys

Exclamation Proceed with absolute caution

OK, this is basically how to do the BIOS. Before you do it I'm going to go over some important things. First you need to make absolutely sure you are not in a situation where the power will be accidentally turned off. This would interrupt the install and turn your motherboard into a doorstop because you most likely won't be able to find a replacement BIOS chip. Secondly during the update do not attempt to eject the diskette or hit any keys unless it tells you to do so. Finally make absolutely sure that you're in possession of the correct BIOS and that the file is not for a version older than what you have currently. With those warnings in place I want to also tell you the the reason I am giving you this information is because that is what I would try when it can't see the hard drive for its real size. This is not a fool proof solution and you may be stuck with only being able to see it for the size it wants to see it as. I'm shorthanding this once again because I assume you know what you are doing. If not ask again I can't type all day in hear but I can check the pages every so often. IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS DON'T CONTINUE AND ASK FOR MORE INFORMATION FROM US. First get a floppy disk that you know is perfect in condition and has no damage to its capabilities. Format the disk. Then you will want to make the diskette bootable. Once the disk is bootable put your unzipped files from the bios disk on there. Write down the name of the file for when you are in DOS. Save and remove the diskette. Shutdown windows. Put the Diskette in, and start the computer up. Run the file for the BIOS by typing the name plus the extention (example run.exe) and press enter. Follow the instructions on the screen afterwards. Once again I will say this. If you have any doubts do not start this and ask for more details. It is absolutely critical you do this right the first time because you don't get a second chance. If you have a friend who works on computers and has done this many times before I suggest having them do this and show you.
    Last edited by Niclo Iste; November 12th, 2007 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Typs

how do i make a floppy bootable^??

thanks so much!!

Niclo Iste i added you on msn, accept me

Ah ok I'll have to accept when I get home. That MSN is my home one as I am not really to talk on IMs at work. I will be home in under 2 hours. If you can wait I will talk you through it at that time since I have to close up what I'm doing for the day soon. I will be able to answer you as much and as best I can. Also don't ignore the help anyone else might be able to offer in the mean time. The people here are great for that and I'm just a new addition to a team that is by far more experienced at online support than I am. Plus I proudly admit I've learned many tricks of the trade by observing their helpful advice to others.

ok guys i updated bios to k7vatsb2 .
    i formatted the unallocated space, i wrote a text file on it and verified the new partition was ok.
    but after a reboot the partition is unaccessible, clicking on it i get : ACCESS DENIED

Quote Originally Posted by OMGmissinglink
    Your problem bios update won't fix, now are you wanting partitions or one 320gb drive.

Your options are:

1. You want partitions - download Hardisks manufactures install disk your able to create your partitions "note" C: drive should be 130gb or under.

2. You want 320gb full partition - Your going to have to use a partition utility such as Partition Magic and extend the partition size after your OS is installed.
    what's seagate tool to use?
    i want to have 2 partitions: one is already working with this xp on it, the other needs to be created, but i have problems creating it (read my post above)

This is one of the 'few' sites that seems legitimite and offers good advice (outside of here - haha) about Bios upgrades:

http://www.wimsbios.com/index.jsp

OMGmissinglink i already got that program but it doesnt allow me to format the drive