New Games - Cyrsis & TimeShift

Thread: New Games - Cyrsis & TimeShift

Talking New Games - Cyrsis & TimeShift

I have to say both are VERY sweet and going to push hardware to the next level. My 8600GT, 1 gig of ram and AMD Dual core 3600+ ran TimeShift fine and only hesisated a little bit on Crysis. Now thats not full tilt folks thats on Medium and no AA for both. To run it full out I suspect you'd better have a 512Mg video card and a very high end one.

I also suspect that were seeing a new breed of games coming. I can't wait to try my new one, called Hellgate: London. Anyway if you got the hardware, or the money to get the hardware, the games are incredible.
    Murphy's Law: If it can be messed up it will get messed up.

I was a longtime fan of the Myst series (have them all including 3 copies of Real Myst for the grandkids soon).

There is no comparison between a brainer like that series and shooters (and I like shooters, don't get me wrong).

The problem is, eye candy is dandy BUT the developers aren't trying to make anything anymore that has a serial feel. The Tomb Raider series tried to blend puzzles and shooters, but their last offering was dreadful.

In a world where the marketing is toward the young, the 'intelligent game seeking gamer' is left out.

I have to agree with CCT, I've been dis-enchanted with a lot of the recent games, very few are original.

I tried the Crysis demo, looked fantastic, but i was not overly interested in the gameplay. Timeshift i have yet to try.

The most recent First person shooter i've installed was bioshock, and this one is more for the environment and unique style to upgrades that make it a likeable game for me.

Lately, i've played more games on the Wii then anything else. Games like Zelda, Metroid, Mario Galaxy and Lego Starwars are eating up most of my time.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

I'm afraid that I'm mostly burned out on shooters too. There just aren't many that even try to deliver something fresh beyond purty pictures. Of course, one reason for this is that online play has become more important than the single-player game. Not much attraction there for me; pitting my 55 year old reflexes against 20-somethings has pretty predictable results.

The shooters I've really enjoyed had stories. Bioshock is great because it delivers a good plot along with a unique graphic style. And let's not overlook the superb use of sound in the game. Good vocal talent, very creepy effects, and excellent positional audio.

Still, my favorite shooter of all time would have to be Clive Barker's Undying. I had high hopes for Jericho Squad, but.... oh well. The original Unreal is another game I still love even if the story line was tossed out about 3/4 through the game.

And even in puzzle games like the Myst series, the story was what drove my interest. Publishers today like to talk about "immersive storylines" in their shooters, but most just don't deliver anything beyond the same old tired same old.

Wow i must have missed something here.
    When exactly did FPS start needing a storyline?
    Find a target and destroy everything
    Basically the only time i can playt is when I have had it with fixing computers and need a break.
    So complex puzzles isnt appealing at all
    nuff said
    Last edited by Ferrit; November 18th, 2007 at 01:11 PM.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Ferrit: yes, you did. First Person shooters are all fine and dandy until they just run out of victimization rationale.

Far Cry had it 'nearly' right.

Gimme a story that makes sense, gimme some puzzles to solve to get the deed done, DO NOT GIVE ME STUPID ALMOST UNKILLABLE ENEMIES AND PEOPLE THAT A .357 MAGNUM WILL NOT KNOCK DOWN, and I am happy.

Every 'Good' game needs a storyline that can continue, just like a good book series (so few really).

LOL you do realize that the same people make Crysis as FarCry
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

It doesn't and NEVER mattered who made a game - it is what the players said about it!

Far Cry had lots of good stuff and then some incredibly STUPID stuff made by someone who apparently just likes to screw up the gaming world.

Like: Shoot the helicopter 500 times BUT only when you do it right does it crash!

Crapola!

Why is the hero/heroine there? Is there sufficient reason and motivation?

OK - there is - then let's make the shooting count (9 millimeter through the armour-reinforced chestplate at 100 yards, you are DEAD!).

See, this is what is happening. They produce crap after crap without good rationalle and story-line and people have been buying it.

But it seems they are stopping - FPS and MMORPG's are dying - really.

Too much crap and no story, no SLOW pace.

Everyone THOUGHT they wanted fast and furious and NOW ? - then what's next ?

Holy Cow - what a rant or sumpin I just did!

LOL