Microsoft wireless keyboards crypto cracked

Thread: Microsoft wireless keyboards crypto cracked

Hybrid View

Microsoft wireless keyboards crypto cracked

"Security researchers have cracked the rudimentary encryption used in a range of popular wireless keyboards."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12...rypto_cracked/

Must remember to check the street for people hanging around with laptops and a wireless transceiver.....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Did you want to read their blogs before they post them?
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

I think this will be a big issue in the workplace.

With this you potentially could grab all of the victims passwords.

Corporate places tend to use wired keyboards, certainly educational ones do.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

You know this could be a fun thing to know about. Given my nature to do things I'm not supposed to do and my attitude of liking to be a trickster. I could find out how to do this and then get everyones keyboards to type on everyone elses wireless setup. Think of the crazy things people would see on their screens as the rest of the wireless users are typing at the same time.

Niclo, we had some serious fun here on base, we added a wireless mouse to our chosen victim's computer and hid the reciever away. Every once in a while, not often, we would move our mouse in odd ways. We would open files, close windows, etc. This is impossible to do with a straight face, so make sure that you can observe the fun without being seen.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

I love it! My desk is out of view of everyone though. But this would make for a great situation with our favorite victim! He sits with his back to the tech bench and none would be the wiser to a wireless mouse just sitting on that bench! Even inadvertant movement by the techs using the bench would drive him nuts! Mmmm I have a project today.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Guts, I'm thoroughly appalled! and I can't wait to try it out on my wife. Definitely one I wish I had thought of .

Anyway, I can't see how the cracked encryption issue is terribly significant. I understand the potential risk, but I just can't rate the actual risk too high. There are easier ways to compromise passwords, etc., and I would have to think that because of the range limitations of the signal and the equipment and software needed to monitor and record or decode the signal, that this isn't a major risk.

I warn you guys, it is nearly impossible not to crack up and keep a straight face when the victim comes and complains to you about needing a new mouse.

Yes, I understand that my wife is likely to slap me for this trick. As if that has never happened.