XP Pro : frequent registry corruption
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: XP Pro : frequent registry corruption

XP Pro : frequent registry corruption

Hi everyone, I really need help on this one guys:

I have an ASUS CUBX-E mainboard in my PC. I have been using this setup for the past 6+ yrs with no issues ever. Earlier had Win Me and currently using XP Pro.
    But for the past three weeks I am facing a strange problem : The registry of windows xp is getting corrupted quite frequently. I have re-formatted and re-installed windows xp pro several times but its registry is getting corrupted frequently, sometimes immediately after XP installation is finished and I reboot and I get the following error :

1. "Windows could not start because the file c:\windows\system32\config\system is corrupt or missing."
    2. "Error : \system root\system32\hal.dll missing"

I have tried repairing the windows installation and the registry using recovery console from the windows xp cd but the errors reappears. Sometimes I get the error within few minutes after windows installation completes. However, I would like to emphasize here that windows xp installs everytime without error. Also Windows XP Pro with SP2 has all the drivers for my PC, so I never have to install any other drivers. So that rules out a driver clash or mismatch.

1. The problem begins after the installation.
    2. Error 1 is much more common and as per microsoft is related to corrupt registry.
    3. I have also tried using different xp cd but it does not help.
    4. I have low-level formatted the hdd but it did not help.
    5. I have changed the IDE cables but that also did not help.
    6. the hdd has no bad sectors and I have tried using both NTFS and FAT32 install. No help.
    7. The error/errors may appear after the first restart or after a few days. But they DO return.
    8. I have RUN memory diagnostics by microsoft (Memdiag) ; DocMemory and Memtest86+ 1.7 BUT NO ERRORS --- EVER !!!!
    9. TESTCPU program shows no errors in processor. Benchmarks using Sandra 2002 are comparable to Sandra test systems.
    10. HDD diagnostic DFT v4.05 and v4.06 show NO ERROR in my Hitachi HDD (80 GB).
    11. chkdsk /r sometimes helps (windows is able to start) but it reports NO BAD SECTORS either.
    12. when the PC is running I am able to install my programs (MS-office 2003, Acrobat reader, winrar, etc.) and I get no errors installing or running them.
    13. I have scanned the PC for viruses using Norton 2008 and Mcafee 2008 (Eval. versions) with latest definitions but they found no viruses.
    14. I do get BSOD errors like : 8E,50,7F,0A,77 etc... but anyone who runs windows knows that they are a part of everyday computing. But RAM tests show no errors.

15. As a last resort I am using Windows Me. It also shows registry corruption but recovers on using "scanreg" tool.
    However, if I do not run scanreg and try to boot into safe mode or normal, Me shows "new hardware found" but the hardware name is missing !!!!
    I tried installing the usual drivers I have to install in Me but it rejects them all (No suitable driver found).
    So which "new hardware" is Me finding and trying to install????
    Bootlog.txt of Me shows these cryptic errors :
    [0010FD1F] DEVICEINIT = CONFIGMG
    [0010FD1F] ASD: failing Unnamed problem, d=HTREE\RESERVED\0, rc=00000005[0010FD1F]
    [0010FD1F] ASD: failing Unnamed problem, d=HTREE\ROOT\0, rc=00000005[0010FD1F]
    [0010FD1F] ASD: failing Unnamed problem, d=P00000010, rc=00000005[0010FD1F]
    [0010FD1F] DEVICEINITSUCCESS = CONFIGMG

LoadStart = pnpdrvr.drv
    LoadFail = pnpdrvr.drv Failure code is 0002

Init =
    LoadStart = DISPLAY.drv
    LoadFail = DISPLAY.drv Failure code is 0002

LoadStart = vga.drv
    LoadSuccess = vga.drv
    LoadStart = DISPLAY.drv
    LoadSuccess = DISPLAY.drv
    InitDone = DISPLAY
    Init = Display Resources
    InitDone = Display Resources

As you can see although pnpdriver and display drv fail yet they load up later (maybe after scanreg). I would also like to add that once Me OR XP are up and running they run stable. Problems come either on reboot (more in XP) or on cold starts (more in Me).

After scanreg Me boots up fine. I am able to use all my programs and browse the web. In fact I am posting this message from the same PC with Me up an running (IE6.0, DX9, Mcafee virusscan pro 2005)

My complete PC specs are :

1. ASUS CUBX-E motherboard with P-III 750 Mhz and 256 MB PC-133 SDRAM [Windows xp pro with sp2.]
    2. Hitachi 80 GB hdd as master on promise ata-100 controller.
    3. LG 52x CD-RW drive GCE-8527B as secondary slave on 440BX IDE
    4. Sapphire ATI Radeon 7000 AGP with 64 MB DDR RAM (IRQ 11)
    5. Compex RE100ATX lan card (IRQ 12)
    6. Pctel 56k softmodem (IRQ 5)
    7. Yamaha soundcard (IRQ 10)
    8. Onboard Promise ATA-100 CONTROLLER (PDC-20265) (IRQ 10)
    9. USB ports and hub (IRQ 5)
    PCI Rev.2.2

I have been using this configuration with XP pro for the last three years without any problems. I am unable to locate any error in the PC RAM, hdd, add-in cards, processor, yet I am repeatedly getting this problem. the frequent crashes and BSOD indicate a RAM problem but then why do Memdiag ; DocMemory and Memtest86+ show no error ???? The problem is more severe in XP than Me. (XP uses more resources though)

Could it be a BIOS issue ? OR power supply ?

I am totally baffled !!! Really need help on this.
    Any advise/suggestion would be useful.

Good chance your drive is failing.

I don't know anything about ME but a Chkdsk would be good if it can run that.

Bad blocks on the hard drive almost certainly.... when you formatted, did you use the full or the quick format? If it was the quick, then it doesn't check for bad blocks and doesn't update the bad block table (which tells the drive not to use these blocks).

Run the hard drive diagnostics - available from the website of your hard drive manufacturer.

It's late here... you have done all this already.

Pull the case cover and check the motherboard capacitors - any leaking or bulging at the top? (the capacitors are the cylinder shaped objects on the motherboard).
    Last edited by NooNoo; December 15th, 2007 at 04:23 PM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Another thought... it could be the onboard ide controller itself - have you got access to a pci ide controller to test?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

6+ years it could also be electrically unstable due to the caps breaking down. Check the caps on the motherboard for leakage or bulging
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

In the same vein as electrical issues with capacitors on the mainboard causing problems, a failing power supply is another good candidate. The only really reliable way to check a power supply's performance is with some kind of tester that let's you check the lines with a meter.

Of all diagnostic software, memory tests are about the least reliable. I've replaced memory that tested fine, and had my problems disappear.

Thanks a lot for the replies!! I have been trawling the net for the past week like crazy but couldn't come up with anything remotely close to my situation.

1. I had thought about the onboard IDE and HDD before but DFT by hitachi reports no errors. I even proceeded with a low-level by DFT and full media scan and found no errors.

2. I had re-installed XP using c: as NTFS and full format but never got errors.
    On the occasions that XP ran I even did a full 5 stage chkdsk /r but no
    errors. No I do not have another PCI IDE card but its a good idea to get one to check. Trouble is finding one (currently all available are for sata).

3. Mobo caps show no bulging.

4. I also suspected RAM but after 4 diagnostics and no erros and ME running I am getting suspicious that its something else. Also note that memory benchmarks in Sandra 2002 standard are comparable to the sample systems (P-III 750/ i815 /256 MB PC-133 SDRAM) and so are the CPU benchmarks.

5. Even ran HotCPU Pro but got no errors.

6. Also I am more likely to believe that its the PSU. Reason : Me is now running without any errors. I had never reckoned with the fact that with winter in full swing ambient temps here drop to below 12 degC. For the past few days I had noticed that the PSU fan would not spin at full speed. I have turned on heating, ambient is above 20 degC , PSU fan runs full speed AND Me boots up without a hitch !! No registry corruption errors.

Years ago had a similar problem with my P-1 200MMX and Win95. In winters the PSU fan (less than 2 yrs old then) would lock up on a cold boot and I would get beeps of all kinds. It scared the hell out of me the first time (i was a newbie then) but a PC tech suggested that I wait 30 secs and press RESET and bingo it worked. The darn fan would start spinning and PC would POST and boot without a hitch !!!

I will wait and watch and later see if XP runs on it now with the heating on.
    Will keep you posted. Hope this thread is of help to someone out there.

I would have expected more than just the registry get corrupted if it was the psu over or undersupplying at critical moments... Do you know if you have other corrupt files?

Sorry, I was unable to reply as this problem is giving me a real headache. My PC is virtually holding me to ransom.
    Yes, I do see files getting corrupt when moving them from one partition to another. In fact in the past week windows has twice reported that FAT on C: is corrupt.
    However, I am able to repartition [fdisk] and re-format the hdd with no errors.
    It seems errors are somehow related to Windows only.
    If I boot to DOS (use a WinMe boot-disk) and then re-boot to Windows , guess what : NO REGISTRY ERRORS !!!!!!!!!!!
    Seems the PSU is acting up on a cold-boot. The problems are very rare on hot reboots.
    Any suggestions ???? Am I right about the PSU or is it something else ???

Let's talk about the RAM some more - you did 4 diagnostics... which ones did you run?

It could be the PSU. The only way to tell is to replace it.

RAM tests used : Memtest86+ 1.70; Microsoft Memdiag (2005 version); Docmemory (2006 version); and the memory checking util in PC-Check 2006.

Four tests in all. No errors. PC-Check showed no errors in motherboard tests; CPU tests; graphics test ......

Heck only thing I cannot test is the PSU. But getting a new one is a headache as I need one with +5V line. my mobo won't boot unless the ATX supply has a +5V line.

You seem convinced it is a RAM issue. Trouble is if I replace the ram and the issue remains OR if it not a ram issue then I lose the INR 2000.00 I will have to spend on the RAM.

Guess now you can understand why I am doing all the testing.

Sorry, I was unable to reply as this problem is giving me a real headache.
    I have noticed that if I boot using a MS-DOS floppy , allow the PC to warm up for a few minutes ; remove the floppy and boot from my HDD then windows reports no registry errors.

It seems the problem is really related to my PSU as on a cold-boot all the capacitors are discharged and the motherboard draws more power than on a hot-reboot, causing under power to the hdd/ram and thereby causing file / registry errors much more often on cold-boots.

This would also explain why windows and files get corrupt fast; and why no hardware diagnostics shows no error in RAM, HDD and the motherboard.

Do you agree ?

erm every atx computer psu has a +5v.... all pci slots need that. I am beginning to wonder what on earth you have powering your mobo.

see here
    and here

Hi,
    sorry that was supposed to read -5V and +5V standby (10mA minimum). There are many psu's on the market here having atx connectors for P-II/p-III and P-4 mobo's. Anyone ever used them ? Any idea about their reliability???

I Also have a question : when the Quick Power on Self Test is DISABLED the BIOS check the full RAM. But does it repeat the process several times over ?(its happening in my PC, and I have no idea whether its OK or NOT?????)
    I don't get any errors though.

All PSUs will support those.... I think you have got yourself very confused. You can get any power supply - you need to just use the 20 pin atx connector, you don't try and connect the extra 4 atx connector pins that modern boards use.

Not every bios will exhaustively check the ram. Minor ram errors rarely show up in bios.