Ultimate image - A dream come true ?

Thread: Ultimate image - A dream come true ?

Ultimate image - A dream come true ?

I searched for years a way to build an windows xp image, That will work on ANY hardware, But I had'nt success with it.

I saw this Acronis Universal Restore software, That seems to do that very thing :

http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/pr...l-restore.html

Have anyone had any experience with it ?

Ah I started using them about a month ago. Congrats HipHoper they are a great company with a great product.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

On a similar note, anyone ever successfully did a repair overload on an XP image going from a single core motherboard to a dual core? I have tried on 3 different chipsets with zero luck.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Guts you have to replace the HAL... multicore processors have a different hal to single cores.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

NIIIICCCCEEEEEEEEEE
    Just used an Vmware 6.02 xp pro image i've made on Athlon Xp3000 + Nvidia 6100 chipset transferred to Duron 3400+ on via chipset with Acronis universal restore, And it was transferred flawlessly !!!

1:0 for Universal restore

Next try from amd to intel, And then THE WORLD !!! MUAHAHAHAHA :O)

WOW !!!

I am MORE THAN IMPRESSED !!!
    This time same image transferred to E2160 cpu on asus via chipset !!!
    (It asked via the restoration of image to some ATK**** driver that I knew was not important to the system at the time, So I've skipped it).

Hip, I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but how much time does this save over a repair installation of Windows?

Sup Slg,

This is not the question in this case because I had cases that even reinstallation of windows did not fix problems like BSOD and such.

If this tool will prove itself through time, It could be a great tool to "install" fresh OS's in several new computers with different hardware for example, And it can even be a good tool to transfer a WORKING windows from one machine to another Since it changes the HAL and other hardware-related components of windows while its first boot.

I refer to re-installation of windows on existing copy only as pre-last resort. I prefer fresh installs with clean registry for more stable systems

msfn.org have a big guide and project going on this very thing.

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/

Also, there are forums where totally hardware independant install image guides are available.

Well...the msfn have been helpful in a way with a hugh database regarding the unattended install, but BUTTOM LINE - It wasn't working as well, Especially if you had NFORCE 4 chipset or later - The chipset from hell for the unattended installers :O)

Anyway, Tried the Universal restore image I've made on 2 more chipsets today (Hp ATI X200 integrated with P4 3ghz and Asus via chipset with celeron cpu).
    The Hp came with Sata drive, And on my first restore try although the sata was working in IDE mode, I got the BSOD which restarted the computer.
    What I did is chose to manually add the Silicon Image 312 inf to the image (By the way, Another problematic chipset to the unattended freaks), And it worked !!!
    The P4 with the Via gave me the same troubles, So I've added maunally the inf from the Hyperion all in one drivers and VOILA !!!
    In the meantime I restored 4 different to the core systems form the image I've made on the NVIDIA+AMD combo, THAT'S IMPRESSING !!!
    Althoght it took quite time to "get it" And regarding Slg comment yesterday, I still believe that it's worth the effort, Especially if you have some high-volumes installations, Or better things to do with your time :O)
    Last edited by HipHoper; December 24th, 2007 at 08:01 PM.

Ok, Found an hardware combo that didn't work with universal restore...It was a P4 2.4 with ECS based sis 65X chipset...The strange thing that it has no SATA, And windows recognise it's IDE with built in drivers...
    By the way, That was one of the hardware that "ultimate" images I've built before also did not worked with. It does not gives the BSOD on boot, But just a black screen...
    I guess nothing's perfect...

yep....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I think I should rename the post name to "A nightmare re-occur" :OP

Heh, I like that: "Recurring nightmare or Dream come true?"

Or with a Lennon twist? "Imageing, it's easy if you try..."