Firewire (1394) Hard Drive suddenly not working with XP Pro (Code 10) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Firewire (1394) Hard Drive suddenly not working with XP Pro (Code 10)

So you were trying to use the sparkle user profile with the firewire?

Have you tried your other profile?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

No, I was attempting to use the usual profile with the Firewire.

One other very odd thing - System Restore is suspended. I have no restore points at all, and there was a message saying that System Restore was suspended because of lack of disk space on a drive - even though all the drives had well more than the 200MB minimum free. I wonder what's going on there?

200mb is nothing!

How big are the drives?

My system restore is around 1 gb...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

The size of the drives isn't a problem, it seems. The main drive is 40GB with more than 4GB free on each partition. The new 160GB backup (3 partitions) was attached at the time as well. System Restore was showing plenty of room on all drives, yet claiming that one of them had less than 200MB free and I should run Disk Cleanup.

When was the last time you ran a defrag?
    How about a scan disk?

Be very concerned that system restore thinks there is only 200mb when explorer says otherwise.

All you can do is turn off system restore now, reboot and try to turn it back on.

Happy New Year! Update:

- Uninstalled Sparkle XP. Now back to just the one hardware profile
    - the LaCie HD has re-appeared in registry and device manager - but not in My Computer. Still getting a code 10.
    - Mounted drives F and G still missing
    - just to check I wasn't going mad, I tested the Firewire port with my video camera again. All works perfectly.
    - System Restore back up and running. No disk errors, no need to defrag (says MS defragger)
    - Lacie HD works fine with 2 other laptops

So. Looks like it's a restore or nothing - unless you have any other suggestions?

I don't at this stage... other than comparing the registry entries between your laptop which works and the pc that doesn't.

Update:

I did the destructive restore. Then connected the HD and... same error code. So I formatted the HD, out of spite as much as anything else. Same result.

Went to the local computer shop, attached a Firewire HD which... worked perfectly.

So I'm concluding that something is up with the HD. Thus it will be heading to LaCie as soon as they give me the RA number.

Thanks for all your suggestions - I do like to fix things myself wherever possible, but I'm admitting defeat this time! Always enjoy a destructive restore, though, and I have a nice new portable USB 2 HD so all was not lost.

Cool! Lacie are pretty good about owning up... but you seem to have an odd problem since that drive will work on some machines.

If you need anything else, just start a new thread.

"I have tried the following:
    - uninstall and reinstall the HD
    - update HD drivers
    - connect using different Firewire cable
    - installed the update http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222 (on suggestion of LaCie Support)
    - crying, pleading, swearing, etc."

Did you do this using the USB connection? Most external drives do not install/update properly using the firewire connection. So first unintstall/reinstall + update drivers using USB. Shutdown, remove usb connection, connect firewire + reboot. See if this helps.

Something going wrong in this forum....first said submissions failed...now I'm 3 times posted in this thread?????

Welcome to Windrivers TimePieces

The Lacie drive in question doesn't have a USB interface, so unfortunately your suggestion won't work, however anyone reading this thread who has a firewire drive that also supports usb, should try your suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by TimePieces
    Something going wrong in this forum....first said submissions failed...now I'm 3 times posted in this thread?????
    Nothing wrong TimePieces, except that you didn't read the message during registration that your post may not appear straight away. We don't like spam and we do our level best to keep the automated devils out. Unfortunately this means that some new posters have to be manually approved.