HP Deskjet F2179 All In One

Thread: HP Deskjet F2179 All In One

HP Deskjet F2179 All In One

Just purchased the above printer - it is from the F2100 series for my MIL for Xmas. She has Windows 98 SE on her pc, has USB ports. HP tell me can't be installed on 98. Is this right, if not where do I get the driver from?

Ta

Usually they say on the box what OS's are supported.

If HP say 98SE isn't, then it probably most likely definately isn't.

Try this:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...reg_R1002_AUEN

The F2100 series specifications say at least Windows 2000 (SP3) is required. You will find it hard to get a current multifunction unit that has had a Win98 driver written for it. 98 is 3 generations behind now, and most manufacturers are ceasing to support it, as 98 has a different codebase to the OSes from Win 2000 on. So anyone still running Win98 must enquire specifically if a product has Win98 support before purchasing it. Sometimes a printer drive for an earlier model that did have a 98 driver will provide basic printer functions on a later model, but most recent drivers look for the correct hardware, and I think drivers for multi-function units are unlikely to work with a different model.

And welcome to WinDrivers!
    Last edited by Platypus; December 30th, 2007 at 09:36 AM.

OMG, installation instructions are of little value unless there is a driver to install. The driver link from that page leads to the standard HP statement:

"HP Products - Driver Downloads and Replacement Driver CDs Are No Longer Available for Windows 98, 98 SE, and Me

As of July 2007, HP will no longer be able to offer driver downloads or replacement driver CD ordering for Windows 98, 98 Second Edition (SE), or Windows Millennium (Me) for your HP printer, all-in-one, camera, or scanner. Microsoft has stopped providing and supporting certain files related specifically to Windows 98 SE, and this change affects all technology companies. HP, along with other technology companies, is no longer able to use selected components in support of Windows 98SE, which has an impact on our software strategy for Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, and Windows Me. HP will continue to provide other selected HP software and applications that do not depend on Windows 98 SE components for the foreseeable future.
    Although the drivers for Windows 98, 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me will no longer be supported by HP, your HP product will still work with these operating systems with the software provided to you on the CD that shipped with the product. Also, if you have previously received a software CD that lists any of these operating systems on the CD label, or downloaded a driver for one of these operating systems, please maintain these files. These files will no longer be available in the HP online support Web site or in any other HP support options (such as e-mail, chat or phone support) after the date mentioned above."

If a Win9x/ME driver isn't provided on the CD accompanying the product (and since goobergrogan is asking for one and has been told by HP that there isn't one, I assume that there isn't), the only way we can help is to locate a link to such a driver that was previously supplied but is no longer being supplied. I haven't been able to locate a driver for goobergrogan, can you link us to one?

goobergrogan, have you searched manually on the installation CD to see if there is any folder or .EXE file that could be a Win98/ME driver location, but is not accessed by the auto installer? If any Win98 driver was ever produced for that model, it seems likely the supplied media is the only place it can be found.

Err yes they would OMG. They often have mistakes on their pages.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I have the same win98 driver problem .there seems have been a 98driver at some point before july 07 .therefor someone got to have on the installdisk that came with the hardware.
    is there by any chance anyone here that got it ?

Hello xna: I will explain this for you.

HP has made a gazillion printers and some work with Win98 and some don't. The printer in question does NOT!

Since HP has given up supporting Win98 for the old printers that ran with it, they made a written announcement on their downloads pages to advise customers. As it would be extremely costly to try and add the disclaimer to individual printer resource pages for just the Win98 printers, they made one common announcement and added it to EVERY resource page.

Get the drift?