USB2.0 MFP driver install error - Epson PM260

Thread: USB2.0 MFP driver install error - Epson PM260

USB2.0 MFP driver install error - Epson PM260

Windows 2000 SP4 - Installing the Epson PictureMate Dash (PM260). Followed software installation CD and connected cable when told to do so. Windows cannot find the USB 2.0 MFP driver. Using a VIA PCI 2-USB (2.0) / 1-Firewire 1394 card. Checked drivers and supposedly all are up to date. Any suggestions.

Have a look through this troubleshooting guide.

http://files.support.epson.com/htmld...rf/trble_2.htm

Bob did you try uninstalling then disabling your antivirus/firewall (don't be on the internet when doing that) then reinstalling?

Sometimes Antivirus and Firewall software get in the way of a genuine installation.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks CCT and NooNoo.

CCT, though the troubleshooting guide you suggested was not for the same model of Epson printer I followed the instructions and had the same issue.

I found a tech tip that indicated the VIA PCI USB Host Adapter is not compatible with Win 2k so I replaced it with a StarTech 6 Port USB 2.0 PCI Host Adapter (new). It installed without any issues and my other USB devices worked correctly. I removed the Epson driver software using add/remove programs, rebooted, and tried to install the printer again. The install fails at the same spot but this time instead of Windows indicating the 'other device' is USB2.0 MFP in device manager that it cannot find the driver for it now states USB 2.0. I also note that a composite printer and a Epson storage volume is loaded in conjunction with the printer install and when I remove the USB cable from the printer, Windows states a USB device was removed without performing a stop. This seems to indicate the Epson PM260 memory stick ports are being loaded and only the printer portion of the driver is failing to load.

I emailed Epson and they suggested I remove the software using add/remove programs, reboot, download the latest drive from their website and follow the instruction. I did so and noted the new driver has a different graphic at the point it asks you to plug in the USB cable to the printer. The new driver fails the same way as the driver on the CD that came with the printer. The new driver software does have a manual button the the install graphic. The first question is what port. I am not sure what to use and the only port with USB is USB001 - Virtual Printer Port. The driver does load and the Epson PM260 is displayed in the pinter folder but the driver does not 'see' the printer. I tried the status monitor under the maintenance function and it never returns any information.

NooNoo, I tried what you suggested but I still have the same issue.

I sent a follow up email to Epson but they have not responded yet.

If I can get the correct port setup / definition, I may be able to get the printer to work. Does anyone know how the port is defined for a Epson PM260 or have any other suggestions?

As simple as this sounds, I had a printer that wouldn't quite work (it was a Samsung colour laser)... turned out that the USB cable was bad when I tested it with a known good device. So I replaced it with a tested cable and it still didn't work.

Turned out that the portion going into the printer was a very tight fit and, where I had quit pushing because the plug appeared to be in properly, it wasn't. I had to push a little harder to get it to seat correctly. So, how hard is hard? Well I am not proposing that you get a hammer! And I don't want you to push the connector so hard that it damages the port... just gently increase the pressure and see if it goes in a bit further.

Now epson drivers can be difficult to uninstall - they don't remove the driver files every time and when a new driver is installed, the new version doesn't always overwrite the old.

When you uninstalled the driver, did the virtual port vanish? If it didn't remove it and reboot. There is nothing to configure on a usb virtual port - it either works or it don't.

When you uninstalled, did you remove the additional software from Epson?

This printer is also similar to one I dealt with last weekend. Despite the green light being on, it wasn't actually ready and I pushed the on button again before it would detect correctly (yet the usb for the memory card had installed). It then took another minute before the printer got it's act together and allowed detection.

Just a few suggestions. I will think up some more no doubt if none of the above work for you.

The ultimate test is to take the printer to an XP SP2 pc and attempt installation there. If it fails with the same problem, you can beat Epson over the head with an RMA
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks NooNoo. I tested printer and cable on a XP w/SP2 and it installs / works fine. I tried deleting all of the USB devices in device manager associated to the PCI USB 2.0 Host adapter and rebooted. Same results. The previous printer was a Epson Stylus Photo 820 so I went into registry and did a search on Epson and removed any entries associated to the Epson 820 and rebooted, same results. Any other suggestions?

As a last effort, you could connect the printer, power it on, and try a manual install.

Make the printer port USB001 (virtual) and point to the Epson cd for drivers when asked. (or, better yet, downlaod and install the newer drivers to a folder YOU create -
    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...dows&x=23&y=10 )

Just a wild thought.
    Last edited by CCT; January 19th, 2008 at 08:40 AM.

hmm it wasn't the registry entries I was talking about, but the driver files themselves.

Have you changed the usb port its attached to... not the card, just some people always plug it into the same socket, your adapter card has more than one usb port on it.

I agree with you NooNoo and believe the drivers are the root of the issue,

I know the printer and cable are good because they work on XP SP2.

I know it is not the PCI to USB Host Controller since I swapped the VIA for the StarTech (ALI). Also, I have tried different ports on the StarTech card.

Using the StarTech PCI to USB Host Controller and the Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller driver the 'other device' is USB2.0 MFP; whereas, with the ALI PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller driver the 'other device' is USB2.0. Nonetheless, the end result is the same, the printer driver does not load and the printer does not appear in the printer folder.

Using XP as a 'model' I looked in device manager and noted the entry USB Printing System which is using driver USBPRINT.SYS. Likewise, there is USB Composite Device (USBCCGP.SYS) and USB MASS STORAGE (USBSTOR.SYS). With the Epson PM260 printer installed on Windows 2k (partial) I went into device manager and installed is USB Composite Device (USBHUB.SYS) and USB MASS STORAGE (USBSTOR.SYS). I presume the 'other device' should be the USB PRINTING SYSTEM (USBPRINT.SYS). I performed a search on USBPRINT.SYS and it was found at c:\winnt\system32\drivers. If I open the 'other device' (USB2.0 MFP when the Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller w/ USBEHCI.SYS driver is loaded) and try to reload the driver it errors out that it cannot find the driver.

I would still like to understand what the root cause is but I been thinking about upgrading to XP so I placed an order and should receive same in about 1 week.

Some services in 2k can affect how drivers install, in this instance the print spooler and the plug and play service... you should check those too.

Have you tried expanding usbprint.sys from the 2k disk?

problem solved. USBPRINT.INF was missing. Downloaded from web and placed in c:\winnt\system32\INF. Ran Epson's driver install and the printer installed. Thanks everyone and especially NooNoo for your help.

My pleasure, glad you stuck with it and got it done.