Vista Update KB935509 failed - error 80004005, configuring updates message FIXED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vista Update KB935509 failed - error 80004005, configuring updates message FIXED

Vista Update KB935509 failed - error 80004005, configuring updates message FIXED

This one had me going for a while. A new build, clean as a whistle and suddenly the windows updates seemed to be going haywire.

Symptoms: Message configuring updates on start up which takes forever... sometimes restarting in the middle of it and gets to configuring updates. Eventually it allows you to login.

Windows updates (on automatic) attempt reinstallation and this update requires a reboot. The restart message is missed because you are doing something else and suddenly the machine shuts down and starts the configuring update cycle all over again.

Just before you throw the machine out of the window....

To prevent the update installing automatically while you sort out the problem:
    1. click Windows button
    2. click control panel
    (click security if you have a list of topics rather than icons)
    3. click windows updates
    4. on the left click change settings
    5. click the radio button (the small circle) next to download updates but let me choose when to install them.

A quick Google later, I found that lots of people were having the same problem. The update is apparently for Bitlocker (TPM), but according to a Microsoft Moderator at Technet, it's much more important - even if you don't use Bitlocker at the moment....

I wanted to clarify one thing; the KB935509 is not a fix for the BitLocker code or feature. It is an update to the bootloader itself, which is necessary just in case you have a partition encrypted with BitLocker. If you have a partition encrypted with BitLocerk, and installed the next pre-req or the SP itself, it would have resulted in losing access to that partition and your data. This update handles keeping access to the partition when installing other core system updates.
    (See link below)

In other words, when Service Pack 1 comes out for Vista (or other updates), and you subsequently decide to use BitLocker, you would lose access to the encrypted partition and therefore your carefully encrypted data.

But what if you don't have a TPM chip, so you can never use BitLocker?
    Good question... given that the update is a bootloader update, it is probably wise to make sure it installs. I have however, asked the question and I will update this thread when I get an answer.

Of all the threads about this problem, this was the most helpful

If you would like to read what I did I have posted at length there... if you are impatient and just want to know how to fix this problem then:

1. Click the windows button, in the search box type
    system configuration
    2. On the boot tab, check the radio button for safe mode.
    3. Apply and OK
    4. DO NOT RESTART as requested - click restart later.
    5. Go to control panel, system and maintenance
    6. Click on System Protection on the left
    7. Uncheck all the drives
    8. Confirm you want to turn off system restore.
    9. Go to control panel, windows updates
    10. View Updates
    11. Uncheck all updates except KB935509
    12. Install selected updates
    13. When it has installed, click the restart message and let the computer restart.
    14. When it restarts, it will restart into safe mode (having first shown the configuring updates message).
    15. Logon to your account
    16. Click the windows button and type in System configuration in the search box again
    17. Select boot tab and change it back to where it was (normal)
    18. Apply and ok and allow restart by clicking restart button that comes up.
    19. When the computer starts up again it should be in normal mode and you may get a message that Vista has blocked a start up item (right) click on the icon below the message and select run blocked startup item. It is just the system configuration message about having altered the system configuration.
    20. Check the box on the system configuration message to never show this again (don't worry it will the next time you use system configuration).
    21. Go back to control panel, windows updates and on the left, check view update history
    22. KB935509 should now be showing as successfully installed.
    23. Go back to control panel, system and maintenance, system protection and turn on system restore.

24. Post whether this worked for you or not please!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Holy Smoke! Good work Noo.

Vista - an advanced and easilly-configurable system.

Oh it is, gave me much more information and as a result I was able to more easily track the problem down.

If you have Comodo firewall, there is an update which is also needed as it was interfering with windows updates (the blurb just doesn't say which one it was interfering with). I did have the update, but still had the above problem.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thumbs up Wow!

Thanks soo much NooNoo! I've been looking for a solution for weeks!
    One interesting side note:
    I run a dual boot with Windows XP and Vista on two separate physical drives. Under the Vista install I have the XP drive disabled in device manager and vice versa, just to insure that the Vista OS didn't mess with my XP drive. I did however have to enable the XP drive in the Vista OS in order to select any of the boot options under the System Configuration. I could see all of the options when the XP drive was disabled, but I could not check any of the boxes or radio buttons.

Welcome to Windrivers skibum

Glad I could help... on your other problem have a read here You may have disabled the drive, but Vista is still aware you have a multiboot system.

The only way to prevent vista knowing you have XP is to physically disconnect the XP drive.

Failed Vista SP1

Aloha all,
    Will I tried to install Vista SP1 using the 24 steps that NoNo had used with no luck. However I did get a different error code this time (80007043C). If anyone has a fix please let me know.
    Mahalo

Did you download SP1 beta via the windows update site or did you download the full version and install it?

The fix above is very specific, it does NOT apply to SP1

Aloha,
    I downloaded it from Windows update and it was SP1 that came out on 3-18-08, so if your fix was for beta that explains why it failed.
    Mahalo,
    meetinmaui

err no it doesn't. This fix is NOTHING to do with SP1 beta or not!

KB935509 is about bitlocker I repeat this thread is about a specific fix for KB935509 not for SP1!

Thumbs down

followed your steps exactly

didnt work. update failed.

i'm on vista ultimate too.

guess I won't be getting SP1 in this lifetime then.

fatjoez, this fix IS NOT FOR SP1. Please read the thread properly!!

i know what its for

bottom line is the update FAILED. followed your instructions. it failed. did not install. it's still sitting there in the list of Updates to Install if check for new updates, it still comes up.......

however.

are you saying that this update is NOT a pre-requisite to installing service pack 1.

note that I do not have bitlocker installed / capabilities for bitlocker

What you did not make clear is that you have not managed to get bitlocker update installed. You made it sound like you tried to use the fix to install SP1 and it was SP1 that failed with the error code.

Do you have a firewall? Is it Comodo? If so have you got the latest update?
    Comodo is known to block this update. If it isn't comodo, what firewall are you using?

What other updates have failed and what are their error codes?

no firewall

just nod32 antivirus

no other updates have failed. i am otherwise fully up to date
    (except for SP1 which does not even come up in the list of available updates actually)

The error code that this update failed with by the way is

The Vista firewall is on?
    Activate the in built Administrator account and try with that. instructions here

Do you have any anti-spyware?
    Do you have mbr protection in bios?