dvd+r problem..disk not formatted????

Thread: dvd+r problem..disk not formatted????

dvd+r problem..disk not formatted????

hi..i really don't know much about computers...i have a toshiba satellite m45-s359...when i go to insert my maxell dvd+r...it won't play..i go to my computer and click on the dvd rom drive...it says... disk not formatted. windows cannot read from the disk. the disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a formatt that is not compatible with windows...
    what does this mean and how can i fix the problem??? please help

its a video that was made for me... i don't know how it was made(what programs was used and such)...to be exact..its a my skydiving video...i can watch it on my dvd player...but when i plug it into my computer..nothing...i have 3 skydiving dvd's...different videos made by different people and different actual dvd brands...only one works on my laptop..the other two (both are different brands) do the same thing...i was told by another person today that i might not have a dvd decoder...which i have no idea how i find out if i do and why i don't...my laptop came standard with a cd/dvd rw driver...at this particular moment i can't get to my desktop to see if the dvds work and i can't remember if it did when i did try it along time ago...so i have no idea whats going on...so if you or anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it...if it does sound like i need a dvd decoder..do you know a trustworthy site i can get one and if its anyway possible free...thanks...

Two possibilities bootzki

DVD Decoder is a possible problem... there is a free one at www.videolan.org
    Download it and try again.

But much more likely is you are a victim of DVD types.... Blank disks come in + or - format so you can have + R and + RW and -R and -RW.

Older laptops tend to be able to play +R (but not all, it's never that simple) and DVD players are often good with -R format... again not always!

So how do you tell? First you need to find a friend who has a computer and a dvd drive that can burn both +R and -R. Then insert the disk and in the burning program there is usually a disc info section which reads the disk and tells you what's on it and what format it is.

You then get said friend to burn a copy of the skydiving video on to the other format for you to test on your laptop. So if it turns out your skydiving disk is a -R, ask your friend to do a disk copy onto a + R disk and then test it on the laptop and the DVD player.

It's a nuisance... when I do home videos for friends, they are always confused as to why I give them two copies with a big R on it and I have to explain it's not the R, it's the + or - that precedes the R that's important!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

thanks for the info...i will try to do it...i do know on the one dvd that i am talking about...its a maxell dvd + r...so could it record in a -r formatt if its a +r dvd?...my laptop is maybe about 2 but no more than 3 years old...i will try alittle later to go to the website..at this moment i have lots of school work to do...but thank you for the help (both of you!!!) i will get back at ya later to let you guys know if it works...as far as the friend part..that may take me awhile since i am busy with school...i will see if my desktop will do it..thanks again..

Quote Originally Posted by OMGmissinglink
    Another possibility some DVD drives will and will not read certain brands/speed media disks.
    how can i tell what mine can and can't read? is there a way?

By experience, trying various types and brands for yourself, which means some outlay if you get a lot of failures.

Also Google search for dedicated DVD forums, someone may have tested your model of drive for compatabilty with various media, and that could save you some false starts...

Sounds like you don't have a DVD codec on your computer. Do you still have WinDVD installed? Can you play a rental DVD or one you own? If you can answer yes, then your drive just doesn't like the disc brand. These days, though, that's pretty unusual.

yes windvd is installed and yes i can play other dvds on here..its only two dvds that were home made that i can't play...the rest i can...i went to the website above and downloaded...no results...i quickly tried to play the dvd on my hp desktop..and it works...so when i find time..i will try to burn the copy like you said noonoo and try that...thank you guys again for all the advise and help..i greatly appreciate it...i have a feeling though that its a lost cause...

its actually weird..i had bought my laptop back in x-mas of 04...it turned out to be a lemon so i returned it in 05..they didn't have the same laptop so i had to buy an upgrade..which is what i am using now....my old laptop played the video just fine..but the upgrade one doesn't....(that makes perfect sense to me!?!?!) ughh computers..lol...

Also this possibility: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321640/

Anyway, just get a buddy/friend to copy it and re-burn it for you.