I am published!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I am published!

" I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

" I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Congrats! Always exciting to be published!

When you said "Be gentle" I assumed you wanted comments, so here goes...

First I'd like to say that pretty much all of this applies to your colleagues on Monstershack as well, so perhaps these are simply characteristics of the society rather than "problems" to be "fixed".

Your reviews seem a bit wordy...I'd love to see it pared down to a 2 paragraph synopsis and then your afterthoughts.

A review should, in my opinion, serve one of two purposes:

1. Inform the uninformed. This group of people hasn't seen the movie - don't tell em what's coming at every scene change. They need something that says "This movie is generally focused on ______(movie type), and the director ________(failed/succeeded) because______(general description of failure/success). If you like _______(movie type) movies, you'll ______(love/hate) this movie.

2. Inspire the uninspired. This group of people HAS seen the movie (at least up to the point they walked out), and some may have chosen to forget about the movie(they'll only need quick refreshers), or may be obsessed with the movie(these will correct your mistakes in the description of the movie - less details means fewer mistakes). We want these people to talk with us and/or each other about the movie, discuss the pros/cons, and express their individual opinions on the movie. Some people just need a starting point to begin their discussion, and your review is it.

Sorry for the lengthy reply...just some thoughts from a fellow (aspiring) writer.
    --Those who think they know everything annoy those of us that do.

Hey Guts, great start. I have to agree that there are wayyyyy to many spoilers... I love the line that L Ron forgot science fiction starts with science!

I have read a couple of his books, and I don't know if I got the wrong impression, but they did seem to me to be "tongue in cheek" especially with the alien "dialogue". How close to the book is the movie?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Dunno, I haven't had the courage to buy it. If I see it used, I'll pick it up and say it is for a friend. As I recall, the movie was only the first half of the 4 inch thick book. Yikes!
    Thanks for the suggestions, Archangel42069, I'll try to keep it less wordy in the future. But these are walk throughs and they, by neccessity, are long. The Steven Segal review was a bit funnier, IMHO.

Congratulations, Guts! The downside of being published, though, is that somewhere, somehow, your words are likely to be preserved to the end of time. About 30 years ago I wrote an article that contained a truly stunning and stupid goof in the math comparing efficiencies in related equipment. The editor failed to catch the error as well. The comparisons were valid, but the absolute numbers were wrong. I was humiliated at the time, but the magazine printed the corrections and I got over it. Until 11years ago when I had it all thrown back in my face by a pimply teenager who had read this thing because his dad collected the magazine.

Point at him and reply " At least I kissed a girl and have smooth skin! "

*NooNoo wonders what happened to her last magazine inset piece....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Published yet again!

Come on, admit it, we all watched "Lost in Space" and wanted to off Dr. Smith...

So Guts, if I read between the lines correctly, you didn't like this movie, but you enjoyed writing about it!

It was one of the top worst movies I have ever suffered through. Writing about it is a cartharsis.

I will have to find you a movie to review that's worse than that.... hmmmmm

No, no, Noo Noo!!! ( I always wanted to say that!!! )