Vista or XP on a new PC?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vista or XP on a new PC?

Vista or XP on a new PC?

I am thinking of buying a new high spec PC and have OS options including all versions of Vista, XP Pro or XP Media Edition.

Is Vista a good option on a new PC which supports it or should I go for XP pro which I have used and trusted for years?

My main uses are photo editing and creating music files.
    SMOKING KILLS! If you smoke, give it up now whilst you have the choice

OK Vista has some great features, but things are in a different place. I have had 3 machines in this week with stupid update problems, I have had one corruption of a profile but other than that, no problems with hardware that has been checked for compatibility.

XP on the other hand, you know where everything is, and I have answered a gazillion questions on fixing stuff.

Personally I like Vista, you don't have to fiddle about with floppy disks with SATA drives or RAID, media center is built in and with the right hardware and 2gb RAM it's quick and easy to maintain. The only thing that disappointed me was the lack of a graphic to stare at when it's defragging.

The next question is do you get 64bit or 32 bit - well that entirely depends on your peripherals. You also need to check out Vista compatibility with your existing software you might want to run.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I have to agree with NooNoo
    I like Vista on a good machine.
    I can think of only one reason not to use it. If you have some software
    that absolutely wont run on it.
    I use Vista Ultimate 64 bit.
    Memory is cheap and plentiful so if you want to have more then 3.2 gigs which i do then go 64 bit. They can say what they like about 64 but 2 facts remain.
    Its the future and it runs most everything I have yet to see any 32 bit not run . I am sure some doesn't but its likely not too mainstream.
    It has a great media centre and I do a lot of gaming on this machine
    F.E.A.R
    Tiger Woods 2008
    Crysis
    etc etc
    all run smooth as silk and they look good.
    Media center in ultimate/premium turns the computer into a nice recording machine thats simple to use and can be programmed a long time in advance.
    In fact i can set it to record a years worth of a weekly series or it will record a whole series of sports such as golf
    Parental controls in Vista also rock. No need for 3rd party software if thats a feature you need
    Whole image backup is also available with a setup for automatic. I haven't restored from it yet but I suspect it does work
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Whole image works ferrit - I tested it 4 weeks ago.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I would have to agree with both above I have had a great experience with Vista so far. The backup and recovery is a take off from Small Business Server 2003 and it is an amazing feature that I have tested a few times just to try out. My advice would be to check the websites of all of your software that you plan to use and ensure that the versions you have are all supported by Vista or they have an upgraded version. I woul also like to add that XP is a 6 year old operating system and Microsoft won't be writing updates for it forever.
    Can't never did anything except whine about what he couldn't do.
    Do, or do not. There is no try.

http://www.northernaurora.com/page/index.html
    http://www.northernaurora.com/page/chat.html Free Chat

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Whole image works ferrit - I tested it 4 weeks ago.
    Thank you NooNoo
    Another 50 dollar program built into vista ultimate
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

When I migrated from Win2X to WXP I was just a tad nervous about stability.
    I found XP to be more or less rock solid.
    Vista...well - more or more rock solid.
    Not to mention vastly improved file management.
    I spend alot of time shoving around my 100,000+ FLAC files and it's a breeze with Vista (ultimate)
    Seems the Vole has learned a few things lately.
    Could not hit the curveball

I still have a Win98 machine (stepson curently using for internet) and have this XP Pro machine that runs all games moderately well on mid specs.

I would still have a Win 95 machine but it was stolen (I still have ALL the install discs and may buy a cheapo comp from a second hand store and load it (I know, I will have to deal with MS$ BUT the theft was reported to the cops and Acer).

So, I recommend, you keep your old stuff, make sure you get the SP3 slipstreamed into an nice recovery disc for it (since that is likely the last support you'll get), and then focus on the most bang for the Vista Buck.

Well I hated vista for its hoggish use of resources however if you don't mind learning a different way of using windows aston shell (www.astonshell.com) is handy for reducing the use of unimportant features to free up resources. I wouldn't mind using vista if I get that again.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

As the above posters said and I agree with their points. I run Vista 64 bit on my workstation at home and work and 32Bit Vista (all ultimate versions) on my laptop. I have yet to come across a major problem and any incompatibility was fixed with a minor update. In fact the only thing I cannot get to work on my Vista Computer is my 7 - 8 year old Visioneer Scanner. I have read many articles and forums that seem to bash Vista but I have yet to find a major flaw. It runs, its stable, the file managment and GUI are great. It definately likes to suck some resources but give your puter at least a couple gigs of Ram and nice moderately priced dual-core processor and it runs smooth as silk. Just be prepared for a little bit of a learning curve getting used to the new interface. But once you do you will see that they put a little thought into the GUI layout.

If you come across an app. that for some reason you like/need to use that is just not vista compatible then I recommend running a virtual PC using Virtual PC 2007 or VMWare. If you have a licensed version of Windows XP it is very easy to set up. I run that at work for a couple management apps that just do not like Vista.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

MorseLady, unless you have some mission-critical software (or some peripheral in the same category) that just won't work under Vista, there isn't any reason to choose XP. Sure Vista has higher hardware requirements, but that just means a few bucks these days. Memory, hard drives, and decent video are cheap, and even for an XP machine you wouldn't really want the minimum level of hardware if you're running any current software, now would you?

Old operating systems, programs, and decrepit computers just aren't worth the aggravation and hassle. Nope, woman, stay current.

Quote Originally Posted by BOB IROC
    ... I recommend running a virtual PC using Virtual PC 2007 or VMWare.
    Yesh!
    Best of both worlds as I run VPC 2007 for some XP audio apps that I don't care to spend another $ XXXXX.xx in order to upgrade.
    VPC ... FREE Microsoft product that almost seems anti-vole.
    Amazing.

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64 for over a 1 1/2 years at home, a month ago, i installed SP1 RC1. I have yet to have a bluescreen/software issue. Unless you *need* XP, go with vista, it's the future and more stable than XP. With the higher security requirements implemented in vista (specialy forced kernel mode driver signing in 64 bit and not allowing executables into userspace memory) it's a lot harder for creepies to get into the nooks and crannies. As a side effect, the programs that won't work in vista? well, the "lazy" programmers are being punished for it and get a good push to write secure code.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

"visit my site at www.matridom.ca"

Hi Matridom ... been away for awhile and still cannot connect to your brane.

Quote Originally Posted by deepblu
    "visit my site at www.matridom.ca"

Hi Matridom ... been away for awhile and still cannot connect to your brane.
    Ya, I know, It's mainly ISP issues, should be fixed in about a week or so.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans