comp turnuning off

Thread: comp turnuning off

comp turnuning off

a few days ago I had a problem with my comp not going in to
    screen saver, and turning off. I had a fix for that and for 3 days it ran perfectly.
    my comp is now turning off again for no reason and rebooting. I tried a restore point, but no diff. I am running xp on AMD 2x 64 4800 3GB DDR2 ram,
    on a K9N6GM series MB, Microsoft wireless multimedia key board and MS standard wireless optical mouse. any suggestions..Thanks
    billwil

It sounds like it's restarting automatically when it hits a particular error.

Please right click my computer, select properties, click on the advanced tab and then click on the lower settings button in the start up and recovery section. On the last checkbox, untick "automatically restart". Click OK

Next time it wants to do it, it will display the blue screen. Make a note of the EXACT error message and the numbers and the file name (if any) involved and post the information.

Once you have got the info from the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) you can use the power button to restart your computer.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Also, I'd check to make sure that it isn't a heat issue, such as a stray wire stopping the heatsink fan from spinning, improper mounting, etc.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

I did as you suggested, and I also removed the MS Intellitype Pro and Intelipoint software for the wireless key board and mouse and installed corded mouse and keyboard. Maybe that is doing something, but it hasn't shut off since. However if the BSOD shows up Ii'll get all info. and pass it along.
    billwil

If it doesn't do it with the intellitype software installed, don't install it! Your wireless mouse and keyboard will still work... just the special keys won't. It would also say to me that you needed an updated version of the the intellitype/point software... which you can get here
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hi again, went to the website to get update for intellipoint software, and had 2 choices, 32 bit or 64 bit, my system is AMD 64 x2 dual core processor 4800 +
    does that mean it isa 64 bit system??
    billwil

it does.... but did you install xp64 or xp? Right click my computer, select properties and the first part of the general tab tells you what version windows you have installed.

All it says it windows XP home edition Version 2002, service pack 2.
    billwil

Then it's the 32bit version... 64bit says XP x64

Smile

well, down loaded latest software and everything seems to be working fine now (keeo my fingers crossed). Thanks NooNoo
    billwil

Any time

Bsod

Thought we had all problems solved. Now, after I restart comp. it starts up ok, then powers down and blue screen apears with followin message.

A Problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
    If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable
    BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced start up option
    And then select Safe Mode.

Technical information.

***STOP:0x000000D1(0x00000041,0x00000002,0x0000000 1,0x8E540)

Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete

Contact your system administrator or Technical support group for further assistance.
    billwil

Angry

after I power down and restart comp. all seems to work fine. I used comp all last night after talking to you last and no problem. (so far)
    billwil

OK have you got service pack 2 installed?

Stop 0xd1

The other possiblity is this stop error but you had no file name in the BSoD...

So it's either the intellipoint or service pack 2 is corrupt and should be reinstalled.