Monitor brightness...

Thread: Monitor brightness...

Monitor brightness...

I have an NEC MultiSync FE1250, and everytime i like go from a dark to a lighter screen, the screen like majorly dims, then "lights" back up. Any ideas guys?
    Also, I KNOW its not my vedeo card or anything, because I have had it hooked up to different computers, and it does the same thing.
    "Color outside the lines"

bad monitor? 17" crt's are running about 80-100 bucks most places.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Err, 22" monitor?

Did it come with the 3 year warranty? Is it out of warranty yet?

Even if it is, it should be worth getting fixed, unless the problem is weakening of the CRT. A fault with what's called beam current limiting could give a symptom like you describe.

Why not check out how much a repair shop will charge to assess it.

Originally posted by Platypus
    Err, 22" monitor?
    Serves me right for not looking up the specs!
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

You could download Nokia Monitor Test to test out things across colors and shades of black and grey.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

Originally posted by Gollo
    Serves me right for not looking up the specs!
    You've got to watch yourself 'round here, you never know who might wander by

Ebu, as this thread has attracted replies, it would be best to delete your duplicate post in the Video/Monitor forum.

the only reason i put it here, is because I knew it would get replies here, lol. sorry
    "Color outside the lines"

No drama.

I just know it can be annoying to type up an answer to a question, then discover a few minutes later it's been answered already in another forum, and you look a bit silly.

Smile

Hi Ebu, I'm a Technical consultant and was searching the web to see if anyone had seen this problem also on this model monitor.
    If your local repair shop has'nt a clue, then maybe I can help you.
    There are two surface mount 'programable regulators' which sometimes go faulty. The faulty one causing your trouble is IC491 (20WZ51).
    I found it impossible to locate this IC so I used a very simple one component design which will cause the NEC engineers to scratch their heads in disgust! You can email me for details. I took some pics of the repair job also. If you cannot do the job yourself then get someone who is good at soldering. The usual I take no responsibility for damage, injury etc. blah blah.

I have 2 NEC FE1250 with the IC491 problem.

I can't buy new LCD monitors because of a young child that seems to kill LCDD screens one way or the other and it is just too stressfull to have them for the next few years. So somehow I have to keep my glass monitors going as long as possible.

Does anyone have any information on the circuit liegyver figured out or Ebu, did you get any other info?

thanks

Welcome to WinDrivers, netzach.

I can't say what the claimed substitution would be, but I suspect it would have involved using a fixed voltage regulator IC, selected by measuring the output from the existing regulator when the monitor was operating normally. If that was it, it may be that the monitor would only operate correctly at some resolutions. The existing regulator is a programmable type, it seems it would be so to allow different rail voltages to be set for different conditions, probably for the different deflection currents drawn at differing screen resolutions.

If the IC in question is a Sharp PQ20WZ51 as seems likely, a Google search could bring up a source of supply near you.

All this assumes the original information is correct, and is the cause of the symptom in your particular monitor(s).