Ethernet via USB Netgear problem!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ethernet via USB Netgear problem!

Ethernet via USB Netgear problem!

Hi

I'm trying to be a good son and help my mother out by setting up a wireless internet connection via a Netgear WGR614 Cable Router.

She currently has broadband via NTL, which comes out of the NTL TV box. This Ethernet cable goes around the house and into the back of her computer via a ACT/link (USB 10/100 adapter). There is no internet firewalls or security, and the internet works fine.

The install disk first collates the internet settings, and then asks to power the modem off. Next it asks to connect via the Netgear router. I connect all the leads as requested and then remove the ACT/Link ethernet to USB adapter and connect the Ethernet internet cable to the Router.

The Next step configures the router, but this fails everytime.

This has led me to test out the Ethernet Internet cable without the USB adapter to see if the internet works without the use of Netgear. To my suprise, this doesn't. So it seems as though there is a convertor or something in the USB adapter that is changing the connection and hence not allowing the netgear router to connect to the internet when testing.

I compared the two ends of the Ethernet cable and the orange wire appeared on the left of both, which leads me to thinking that I may need to have a cross over Ethernet cable. I have not tried this yet as need to hunt for a cable in my loft, but wondered whether there could be another problem or am I barking up the right tree?

The solution I was contemplating was getting a USB to Ethernet convertor, but that defeats the solution to the problem

Anyway, any help will do.

Thanks

Berone7

First off you do not need a cross over cable.
    When you connect the ethernet cable from the tv box to the router are you sure you are putting it in the correct receptacle. Ther eis usually allways 4 and 1 plugins. The 4 are for wired computers and the single is the wan or internet.Once you have the 1 connected to the router from the tv box ,choose 1 of the other 4 and connect the old cable that went to the pc and connect it up.
    Then go to the pc and run the connection disk. You need a hardwire connection to setup the router I believe. There you can enter the router set it up and also set up the wireless and security.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Hi Ferrit

Yeah, I currently have the Netgear 834GT model, so know how to set it up. The problem is this adapter from ethernet to USB is the only way the Internet works, and as you mentioned, the four connections on router are ethernet and the internet "In" is also ethernet, but there is no internet unless you use USB adapter which the router does not have a USB connection.

Cheers

Berone7

Does the computer not have a standard ethernet (rj45) port?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hi NooNoo

yep, but when you take the ethernet away from the USB adapter, the internet is not found even before I start to think about the Netgear Router, hence why I think it could be to do with using a cross over from the NTL box.

So get a straight through and try it...?

What's the make/model of the usb adapter thing?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

When you say straight through, are you talking about the cross over Ethernet cable?

unknown make/model, all it says on the back is
    SR02091601309
    USB 10/100 M ADAPTOR

on the front it says
    ACT / Link

You should forget completely about a cross over cable as I said before it is not needed what so ever
    Somehow you are crossing something up somewhere because there is no converter in that USB ethernet card.
    Is there another network card in her computer besides the usb one?
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Nah, its only a DELL laptop. There are four USB, 1 Ethernet port and a Firewire port.

Could there be a setting that needs changing incase the Ethernet port is inactive? Is there a way of finding out as if you say that the USB connector does nothing, and I get internet through this, then it sort of points at that. Is there a test that can be run maybe?

Thanks

berone7

What's the dell service tag number?

Hi Noo Noo

The service tag number is 3JF3D3J

I was just about to post this on another site, think this sounds more accurate of what is happening :-

Hi

I seem to be having a problem on my mothers laptop. She wants to be able to have a wireless connection to the internet, so I bought her a Netgear Cable Router. At present she has a internet connection which is working fine from her NTL box, via a Ethernet cable with a USB adapter.

Obviously to setup the Netgear connection I have to use the wired ethernet setup before swapping to wireless once complete.

Well here is the problem I am having - After a bit of setting up and not getting anywhere, I have narrowed down the problem to being the ethernet port on the laptop.

Reason.

When using the USB connector, the internet is working perfect. However, when taking the cable out of the USB adapter and plugging this into the Ethernet port (Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller) straight from the NTL box, the internet does not work.

So to me it appears that the ethernet port needs setting to be "On" even thought the device manager tells me the device is working properly!

Anyone know how to solve this as need this to work before I connect the ethernet cable to the Netgear router and then into the laptop via ethernet.

Thanks

Berone7

Ok do you get an indicator light on the ethernet port?
    Is the IP set to getting an automatic IP?

Is the laptop wireless?
    Is there a network bridge in network connections?

I'll find out

Is there a specific place to look the auto IP

The laptop has wireless built in

No bridge

So it's quite likely the laptop is trying to connect via wireless. You need to right click on the network connection you want to use (do both to be on the safe side)... so start, control panel, network connections. You should have two there, one for the broadcomm and one for the wireless.

Right click on one and choose properties. In the top half, scroll down until you get to TCP/IP entry, highlight it and click properties (or double click it). The property sheet should have "obtain IP address automatically" radio button selected.

Make a note of the settings (all 4 tabs) under the advanced button and post them here.

Thanks, will do that when I get home.

cheers