Socket 754 Missing Pin

Thread: Socket 754 Missing Pin

Socket 754 Missing Pin

I have a Socket 754 CPU with a missing pin on the outside edge of the processor. I happened to also have a Socket 754 motherboard brand new in the box. I gave it a shot just for giggles and the machine posted fine. It's now installing windows without any noticeable problems. I'm no expert on how a CPU actually functions, just know the basics. Can anyone explain what could go wrong with this missing pin CPU?
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by arch0nmyc0n
    I have a Socket 754 CPU with a missing pin on the outside edge of the processor. I happened to also have a Socket 754 motherboard brand new in the box. I gave it a shot just for giggles and the machine posted fine. It's now installing windows without any noticeable problems. I'm no expert on how a CPU actually functions, just know the basics. Can anyone explain what could go wrong with this missing pin CPU?
    Depends on what that pin is. It can be a power pin and chances are that it will work just fine since there are other power pins on it... It can be an unused pin (some devices have unused pins) and then you're golden... It can be some other pin that has some unknown yet role and you won't know it until later...
    If you can tell exactly which pin it is I can take a look at the specs of the package and maybe figure out...
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Quote Originally Posted by arch0nmyc0n
    ....I gave it a shot just for giggles and the machine posted fine....
    I can see myself doing the same thing... Curiosity is a vertue.

IMHO the ping is an unused one - Socket 754 had served numerous Processor layout and the "package" haven't changed during this period. is this an early 754 processor?

Cheers,
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

For the said purely curiosity value I'll get some picture of the chip next time I'm out there to illustrate. I won't be out there until next week.
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Depending on if there is a small stub left ,it can be fixed . I have had my son solder on a pin from another dead chip after breaking one off a 939 chip
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Ferrit,

I've actually done that myself, or if there is a stub left, you can just jam a piece of wire, or straight pin etc, right into the hole on the ZIF socket.
    Not 100% guaranteed, but soldering pin's onto a CPU is not to be taken lightly.
    "Knowledge belongs in the hands of the people"

I certainly don't have the dexterity required to solder something that small so there's no chance of that happening.

I took some picture but when I got them home, I realized they REALLY suck *** so I'll have to throw it in the scanner or something....

It's an AMD Sempron 64 754pin... are there online diagrams detailing what pin does what?