Yahoo Browser slow typing in search boxes and email Fix

Thread: Yahoo Browser slow typing in search boxes and email Fix

Yahoo Browser slow typing in search boxes and email Fix

This is another one of NooNoo's odd problems.

It affects only the Yahoo Browser supplied in the UK by BT Yahoo and in the States by AT&T Yahoo.

The problem started with one of my customers shortly after installing a new Canon Scanner.

After some experimentation I discovered it was Presto PageManager that was bundled with the scanner that causes the problem.

Presto Page Manager installs a start up item which doesn't seem to be needed nor affects the functionality of the program or the scanner.

This fix will work for any Yahoo Browser and was resolved for the BT Yahoo Browser slow typing problem.

This problem can be solved by simply unchecking one tick box.

On XP click start, then run and type in
    msconfig
    click OK
    On the window that comes up, select the last tab called startup options
    Go down the list until you see WRTMON and uncheck the box next to it.

Apply and OK, and restart when prompted.

When you get the desktop back up, you will have a message about the system configuration utility - check the box to not show the message again.

Your browser should now work fine.

The Cause:
    Canon have a great range of software bundled with the scanner - one of which is Presto Page Manager. WRTMON belongs to that. It doesn't need to be there on start up, strangely, WRTMON doesn't launch when you open Presto Page Manager.

WRTMON launches WRTPROC, so if you check your task manager before fixing it you will see both processes there.

I don't know if this has the same effect in other operating systems like Windows 2000 or Vista.

I wrote to Canon in the vain hope that they would put up a knowledge base article and even perhaps talk to Presto Page manager writers... but no, they wrote back and blamed Microsoft. Way to go Canon, great customer service you have. The user doesn't care who wrote the file and how it's implemented, all they know is that they installed a Canon Scanner and their Yahoo browser stopped working properly.

I also wrote to Newsoft who produce Presto Page Manager - I haven't even had an acknowledgement yet.

If I get any updates I will post again.
    Last edited by NooNoo; March 18th, 2008 at 05:07 AM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Ah, the Yahoo "enhanced" Browser! I usually do everything possible to discourage my customers from loading this abomination when I do a DSL setup. Just like the equally foul, wretched, noxious, and dysfunctional browsers from MSN and AOL, this is nothing but a resource hog and a support hassle. What truly amazes me is the number of people I see using broadband service from another ISP who continue to use and MSN and AOL accounts. Talk about masochistic tendencies!

Here are a couple of choice examples. MSN 9's scripting support isn't quite up to current standards, and on some web sites it generates error messages (non-fatal) while the same sites work just fine in Firefox, Opera, and IE 6 and 7.

My favorite (leaving aside the snail-like performance of the Yahoo Browser) is a problem I've encountered with AOL 9. I have some customers who have 6 Mbps cable and DSL connections still using AOL, and the difference in connection speed with AOL's browser is incredible. With IE or Firefox, I can run a speed test, and performance is right up where it should be. Running the same tests in AOL 9 causes the download speed to drop to 1.5 Mbps. Consistently. Different machines, different broadband providers, same lousy results with AOL 9.

The BT Yahoo browser is not too bad here, it has some useful features for my customers...the only thing I really hate about it is that it uses Yahoo search engine... ugggh.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thank You!

NooNoo, you are brilliant! I experienced this exact problem and would never in a million years have figured it out. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. Keep up the super-sleuthing!

My pleasure and Welcome to Windrivers Winnie96

Dear NooNoo -

Thank you SO much for figuring this out. We installed a Canon scanner last month and have been pulling our hair out over this issue. As you stated, Canon was NOT at all helpful. Also, AttYahoo referred me to Microsoft who both seemed to care less.

At any rate, your fix did the job. Thanks again.

Welcome to Windrivers Doublereeder2. Glad it helped you.