Cannot View Attachments

Thread: Cannot View Attachments

Cannot View Attachments

One of the users on our network running Server 2003 can no longer view an attachment received in Outlook 2003 without first saving the attachment to her desktop. In the past, she could click on the file and simply read the contents. Now she receives the message, "the specified file could not be found."

This started while I was on vacation last week. Her desktop is running XP SP1 with Outlook 2003 SP1. It does not matter what the file type is, i.e. .doc, .pdf, etc. She is unable to view any attachment without first saving it locally. Her PST file is stored on the network in the same location as all other users.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
    “If nothing changes, Nothing changes!”

Check for Google Tool Bar add-ins and if they are there remove them: Tools, Options, Other, Advanced Options, Add-in Manager and COM Add-ins.

It is my pure and virtuous heart that
    gives me the strength of ten!

Thanks...I checked and found none. I did remove Google Earth from the programs list but there were no add-ins in Outlook.

Thanks for the input.

Any other suggestions?

Jeff

Not sure if this feature is in Outlook 2003 but I had a similar situation where a few of my users were unable to preview the attached documents but the error mesage said something about no valid previewer installed. We user Outlook 2007 and in the Help Menu there is an option for "Office Diagnostics". I ran that, it found some problems, and then everything worked again.

Also one thing I would check to see if this is a problem that only happens on her workstation or does it happen everywhere she logs in.

I agree with Houseisland about the crapware like toolbars and Google Desktop search. Those things cause so many headaches and our users insist on installing them and then complain when things dont work. But when we uninstall them things work again.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

The other thing to try is a re-install through the Add Remove control panel item and the Change button on Office entry. Select Reinstall, and when the install wizard opens choose the Run all from my computer option for Outlook.

It is my pure and virtuous heart that
    gives me the strength of ten!

It may be a corrupt temporary internet cache. Empty it and reboot and try again. I had a similar problem with adobe reader - that turned out to be a software firewall quietly blocking adobe launching in a browser.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    It may be a corrupt temporary internet cache. Empty it and reboot and try again. I had a similar problem with adobe reader - that turned out to be a software firewall quietly blocking adobe launching in a browser.

Thanks...I'll try emptying the cache. I plan to also stay over Friday night to uninstall / reinstall the Office Suite.

But 1st, as stated above, I will see if this happens anywhere she logs in.

Thanks guys...would have responded sooner but it was a busy day yesterday with all the normal
    • I can print!
    • I forgot my password
    • My Internet doesn;t work (it is work time anyway friend)
    • I can't transfer my file to a coworker over the network so we had to copy it to a floppy (2 engineers!)

Could someone have been playing with settings?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/he...402971033.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by CCT
    Could someone have been playing with settings?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/he...402971033.aspx
    The Security Template was fine. Thaks for the idea, though.

I uninstalled Microsoft Office 2003 and reinstalled. I updated with SP3 and then downloaded updates. I also upgraded to IE 7 thinking the suggestion of a corrupt temporary Internet file cache might be the problem. But...no luck.

She CAN log onto another unit and NOT have the problem so I am sure the issue is not associated with her profile. I plan to just wipe the unit now and do a complete reinstall as I could have already done that in the time I have spent. Thanks for all the ideas though as I learned quite a bit about Outlook 2003 that I did not previously know.

Thanks,

Jeff Farrar

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar
    ...I plan to just wipe the unit now and do a complete reinstall as I could have already done that in the time I have spent. ...

Why not just back up any Desktop Icons and any local documents she may have and delete her local profile and re-create it? We use Active Directory for user Authentication at my work and we see that from time to time. Deleting the local profile and letting it re-create itself usually fixes the problem.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

Quote Originally Posted by BOB IROC
    Why not just back up any Desktop Icons and any local documents she may have and delete her local profile and re-create it? We use Active Directory for user Authentication at my work and we see that from time to time. Deleting the local profile and letting it re-create itself usually fixes the problem.

Thanks for that idea as well, but no luck.

I also tried deleting processes one at a time via Task Manager hoping to see if a 3rd-party software install might be the culprit but that failed as well.

Thanks,

Jeff

so did you wipe it?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

SP3 in office made some drastic changes in file handling. After updating to sp3, users can't open lotus notes files and other things they could before the update. This was supposedly Microsoft's way of protecting Office user form older , insecure file types. To enable lotus files, I had to do a regedit.
    IS it every attachment, or just certain types ?
    All who wander are not lost

What were we talkin bout ?