Tri Gem computer help
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tri Gem computer help

Tri Gem computer help

I was just given a tri gem computer and whoever had it eliminated everything including windows. Is there anything I can do to get windows on it?

I don't but I have my friends recovery cd and I can't get that to work.

Well, bj, this gets into a bit of legal weirdness. Beginning with Windows 95 OSR2, all versions of Windows are licensed to the computer, not the user. So, if the computer has a Certificate of Authenticity affixed to it for, let's say, Windows 98 Second Edition, you could legally install that same version of Windows from any CD. You could beg or borrow one. You could not, however, borrow a friend's copy of Windows 2000 Professional and legally install it. Clear? Sorta, kinda?

Is the system restore disk you tried to use specifically for the computer you have? If it isn't made for your brand and model, a restore CD isn't going to work.

If the disk does match your machine, it may be too damaged to run. If it is dirty, wash it with mild soap and water, then try it again. If the disk is scratched on the underside, you may be able to buff out the scratches. I like Data Doctor for this. Finally, if the disk is so scratched on the top side that you can see light through the scratch, it's toast.

We don't deal in illegal activities here BUT before you spend a couple hundred smackers on any version of Windoze (which means XP at least now), you could try an install of anyone's software to see if the comp actually has any life left. HOWEVER:

Like slgrieb said, if you know what was on the comp, and have the CofA, then that would be the best install (even if it is only Win95).

Because THEN, when you go to Authenticate, if should work longer than 30 days.

Either way, what you want to know is, is it worth the time and trouble!

gl

E-mail me your address and I will give you WINDOWS 3.1

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by xpuser357
    E-mail me your address and I will give you WINDOWS 3.1

Thanks I needed that.

I would help but,I already mailed out all my illegal softwre.
    Last edited by street1; September 11th, 2006 at 08:20 PM.
    "We Must Have Toliver Gravy!"Said The Bloody
    Little Yellow Lumbermen To The Forum King.

Why not? I do, as well as DOS 2.0, 3.1, 5.0, 6.22 ... I also have 3.11 on floppies and win95a upgrade....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I have install Disks for Windows 3.0 if anyone is interested and if I look deep enough I may be able to dig up NT 3.5
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Why not? I do, as well as DOS 2.0, 3.1, 5.0, 6.22 ... I also have 3.11 on floppies and win95a upgrade....
    Gotcha beat NooNoo..I still have DOS1.0. It doesn't recognize hard disks, but it's a wonder with 5 1/4 inch floppies! FAT12 even
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

No Thanks..I've got about 20 of em around here..That's what happens when you've been doing this as long as I have. Even got some commodore 64's and a couple of trs-80's around as well.
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

I looked on the back and I see nothing to tell me what kind of componets it is using. I tried to use a compaq recovery cd but it didn't work. It says when I turn it on to insert boot disk in drive A.

That is because Compaq Restore CDs will Only work on the compaq model(s) they were designed for. This is basically true of most brand computers. You need the Tri_gem restore CDs (if they exist) or an actual windows disk with a legal license. So if there is a windows License sticker on the case you can legally install that version of windows. If there is no license sticker then you must buy Windows and the computer may be too old to run XP. I am not sure as I am not familiar with that brand of PC.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

Well, that tells you that there is no o/s on the C: drive and that the bios works so you could probably install an o/s.

If you don't know much about comp's however, trying to get a complete tutorial here on what to do is futile.

Read here: http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_..._-_graphic.htm

If you just wanna knock around the imnternet or something, you might buy an older o/s cheap BUT that won't be useful for long since support has been cut for so much of the 'old gold' stuff like Win 95 and 98.

You could maybe also learn about and play with Linux or one of the derivatives.

gl anyway
    Last edited by CCT; September 13th, 2006 at 10:22 AM.

OK, we need the make and model of the PC if it is branded. If not you have quite a learning curve ahead of you.

If it's not branded you need to download and create a boot diskette and you need to run the dos version of hwinfo available here

Boot disks are available from bootdisk.com Choose the 98se OEM version. To create a bootdisk you download the file, put a blank diskette in the drive and double click the file you just downloaded. It will then create the diskette for you.

Boot the machine with the boot disk, then make the hard drive bootable by typing

format c: /s

at the A:\> prompt shown on the screen and press enter.

When the format has finished, reboot the machine without the boot diskette in, it should now start and bring up the
    C:\> prompt
    Put the hwinfo diskette in the drive and type in the full name of the file that appears on the diskette and the "path" to it. The command should look like

a:\hwinfo.exe

press enter and the program should start. Write down all the system information shown on the System Info screen (alt I and down arrows will allow you to navigate the info menu if the mouse doesn't work).

Post the information here and then we can advise you which operating system(s) would be suitable.
    Last edited by NooNoo; September 13th, 2006 at 10:33 AM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

OK thanks I will try this when I get a couple of floppy disks that work. I will keep you posted.