Google Error on Network when going to www.google.com

Thread: Google Error on Network when going to www.google.com

Google Error on Network when going to www.google.com

Ok I have never seen this before and google does not seem to be of much help. When anyone on my network tried to go to www.google.com they get an error page and that says this.

"We're sorry...
    ... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.

We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In the meantime, if you suspect that your computer or network has been infected, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover to make sure that your systems are free of viruses and other spurious software.

If you're continually receiving this error, you may be able to resolve the problem by deleting your Google cookie and revisiting Google. For browser-specific instructions, please consult your browser's online support center.

If your entire network is affected, more information is available in the Google Web Search Help Center.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on Google.
    To continue searching, please type the characters you see below: "

If you enter the characters it lets you through and I clicked on the help link but that has not help. Here is that link http://www.google.com/support/bin/an...0down&#helpful

It gives some general information about an automated BOT running and some other stuff but I do not know how to find which one of the 3000 computers on my network could be the culprit.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

Well I have heard no reports of it happening again today. I would still like to know what caused this. It created a panic attack and my users were blaming our web filter saying that we are blocking google. I am wondering if google was having problems yesterday and since we have about 2500 computers that could (and probably are) using google for the search engine it caused too much traffic.

I hope it wasn't some computer with a virus or a BOT installed on it like google suggested it could be.

If anyone knows more about this situation I would be curious to what caused it.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.

No clue whatsoever. Just didn't want you to feel ignored

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    No clue whatsoever. Just didn't want you to feel ignored

Thank You. Us techies get ignored enough. I just never seen anything like that before and I literally got like 30 support calls within 5 minutes when it started happening. It lasted most of the day and when the students left at 3pm google.com started working again. I just wish I had a better explanation to give them because they are blaming our internal technology and I do not think that was the cause. Unless we did have some computer sending out BOT requests or something. Thank for the reply though.

You're welcome Bob. I try to make my ignorance freely available to anyone who wants it. Mark Twain said it best, "I would rather have my ignorance than another man's knowledge because I have so much more of it."

Lol slgrieb

This error was pretty common a few years back and not only on Google. It was to do with ISP's mainly and how they packeted requests to the major search engines.

It was supposed to have been fine-tuned out.

In any case I ever saw it was only temporary, typically 30 minutes or so then went away, but could recur. Advising the ISP did in some cases help especially when things like rankings were being checked often and caused this repsonse.

Some clients confused this for corrupt proxy caches which returned a faulty locally stored page. I never saw this as being the cause of this specific response.

I reckon I can trump slgrieb's ignorance any day though!