Switch to Router issue

Thread: Switch to Router issue

Switch to Router issue

I hate networking... I can do simple networking but once it gets past 1 device after the modem then I get confused. So here's the setup I have in my house. DSL modem - Switch - Router. My ISP grants static IPs only so I have 2 computers that connect to the switch (they work) and then I have the router which I designated the final IP that I was given. Thing is I can't get any connectivity once I configure the router which is a linksys that I got for free. So just to see if there is anything I'm missing let's say the router was given the IP 12.214.32.9, subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway 1.214.32.1, primary DNS 1.213.150.2, and secondary 1.213.150.3. What would I have to do to get the desktops connecting to the router set to so they can access the internet? Or should I be looking at adjusting more on the linksys?
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    What modem? What router? Does your router have multiple ports? Usually 4...???

If the router is multi-port, you don't need the switch. Plug the modem into the wan port on the router. Plug the pc's into one of the lan ports on the router. You may want to reset the router to default configuration, or go to the admin page of the router and check the configuration of the dhcp configuration.
    Sergeant WOTPP

The modem is a Broadxent by creative supplied by Speakeasy.net looks like 8012-v1 is the model number. The router is a BEFSR41 version 4. I am trying to keep my main systems off the router only because I see the router as being temporary. However the router in default config won't work with the DSL. I have to use one of the static IPs. I'd talk to tech support but looks like they're swamped with an issue and the hold time is longer than I can stand. It's not anything mission critical at the moment but it's been irking me all week.
    One Script to find them.

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Ok. One of those computers is running a program to provide the username and password for the account. That info needs to go into the router, on the config page. After you switch it, stop the software from starting on boot-up.
    Let the router do what it was designed to do. What is the reason for two static addresses?
    Hook up the computers like i previously advised.

If you're unsure how to configure the router, post back and we'll help
    Sergeant WOTPP

My ISP only gives out static IPs (they gave me 3) there is no way around it as I asked them already. There is no software running on the PCs but the modem has the password in it though. I just didn't want to rely on a linksys for my main systems especially since I'm doing remote connections ad hoc to clients. Toying with the ports and such would be more than I want to look at. Forgive me on my wording or if I'm unclear I'm going on 3 hours of sleep.
    One Script to find them.

The isp probably set dhcp reservations on the static ip adresses by mac address. In the settings on the linksys is an option to clone the mac address. Using one of the computers that can get on the net logon to the linksys and clone its mac into the router.

Broadxent is a Creative company, which certainly goes a long ways toward explaining your support issues, I guess. I looked for product information on their website, but virtually nothing there seems to be working at the moment.

Anyway, I would assume that the "modem" is almost certainly a router itself, so you should be able to cut the Linksys out of the loop altogether and just use the switch. If it doesn't function as a router, you still should be able to get it all to work with only the switch by giving your PCs assigned IP addresses per Speakeasy's assignments.

Sweet I'll try those options out thanks I'll try those later and see what I get.
    One Script to find them.

OK at first I messed up and it didn't work after changing to the conventional modem - router - switch config. Turns out forgot to follow futuretechs advice on cloning the mac address but once I did that it sorted everything out. All in all it works and thank you very much for the input. Really I never could catch on to networking beyond running the wires and doing the default configurations.
    Last edited by Niclo Iste; April 27th, 2008 at 05:45 PM.
    One Script to find them.