Cheap and good protection
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cheap and good protection

Cheap and good protection

I moved most of my clients to Nod32 antivirus about a year ago, And generally speaking I'm quite satisfied.
    The thing is that me myself got infected with some trojan about 2 monthes ago, And since nod32 is bought per year of use basis, I'm looking now to some other alternative.
    I need something that won't leech system resources, So thought about :
    avg free + comodo free firewall + windows defender
    The thing is that the comodo blocked to much things when I tested it few weeks ago, Which disturbed me, So I've installed Zonealarm pro for the meanwhile, And it's firewall is much more friendly - And also helped me get rid of the trojan I've had).
    the programs I've mentioned are all free solutions, And not system hugging (Maybe except for MS defender).
    I would be happy to hear from your experience, And to have some of your suggestions for other protection solutions (Doesn't have to be free).

Thank you :O)

I have yet to see cheap and free be a good solution.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Hey ferrit :O)

As opposed to which costly and efficient one ?

Well none is a silver bullet thats a given right off,
    As to which is a paid better version.
    That's usually left up to opinion.
    But i see a numnber of people through the chat and with my buisness and AVG is no solution.
    NOD32 I have not used but I hear its good.
    If I read it right you said on NOD you got a trojan. Thats not unusual for any antivirus. It's a war they make em smarter and then we get smarter AV.
    We are allways playing catch up.
    Personally and through my buisness I use Norton 2008 AV
    As far as I can see it uses a low amount of memory for the protection it provides. I buy it for like 20 bucks for an OEM copy.
    Now that being said no it isnt problem free I have seen some issues with it as I have seen varying amounts in a lot of other software.
    I dont use anything but the anti virus on its own soley.
    No Norton 360
    No Norton Utilities
    etc etc

Just as an extra note. I am now using a lot of Symantec End point protection in office situations.
    Last edited by Ferrit; May 19th, 2008 at 10:08 AM.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

I'm also using norton, but i got a corporate version, it's simple, it works, and it's not in your face like the retail versions of the software that is available.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

And guys, What about firewalls ? The xp built-in one is not such a "hit". As a matter of fact the trojan I got just disabled the windows firewall.....

There's nothing wrong with ZoneAlaram in that is allows you to set up which internal programs can access the internet as well as blocking external access into your system.

I use AVG 8.0 and run Ad-Aware 2007 and Spybot S&D and routinely run HijackThis and A-Squared HijackFree with Windows Defender running.

I surf lots and get minimal problems. Once a month I run a reputable on-line scanner.

ZoneAlarm is not as effective as Comodo.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

The Defense + feature of the comodo seems a bit annoying. Is it needed ? I ask this since I feel like the avast is already gives some protection for spyware and such. Is the MS defender is also needed in that case ? I just don't want the system to get over defensed and working slow....

Defense + can be annoying... but I haven't gone into it in detail - perhaps have a rummage on comodos site.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

One of the big claims for Comodo is that it watches for code injection. This can defeat firewall application monitoring, as malware runs as a parasite within an already permitted application, or makes it appear that a trustworthy application is requesting permission.

I played with the comodo for the last day and it is quite annoying.Most of my clients wouldn't be able to deal with the notification AND stay sane, And I love them (The clients, Not the notification :O). I guess I'll need to stick to a friendlier solution although less effective like NIS 2008 or such.
    Thanks all for your input.

First off....

I don't understand why people install software firewalls unless its on their laptop. If I was you I'd consider an inexpensive router as a basic firewall which is quite effective for 99% of the world. Secondly remove Microsoft windows defender crap as well as any third party firewall crap software. Just a recipe for disaster. Install Super Anti-Spyware from here: http://www.superantispyware.com/
    and Download and install Free Anti-VIR for your trojan and virus needs.
    http://www.free-av.com/

Problems solved.

Thanks Pb,
    I've had some experiences that Router's firewall did not protect users as well as software UPDATEABLE ones. And even then the windows built-in firewall didn't do it's job. So if you want good protection, A software firewall is a MUST unless you have Checkpoint S-Box, or some other hardware updateable firewall.
    I'll check out the Super ant spyware. I hope the Anti-Vir AV got better than 2years ago, Since you needed to update it manually, And it's definitions update weren't that often.....

I went this route for my client today. A workstation got hit with the XP virus worm. A nasty thing.
    They have Norton, but that has been a thorn in my side since I started consulting with this business.
    I am using that workstation as a test so I can show the head cheese that norton bites and didn't even detect this worm/virus.
    So, thanks for the link.
    Dyslexics of the world..UNTIE!