Whatcha been reading lately?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Whatcha been reading lately?

Whatcha been reading lately?

For me..

Tim Sevrin's Viking trilogy.

The Viking Triology

Sevrin is not the most polished of prose writers, but he is a great story teller. The three books are historical fiction but are firmly grounded in close readings of Norse sagas and detailed research. They trace the story of Thorgils Leifsson, son of Leif the Lucky, through 11th Century Greenland, Newfoundland, Iceland, Ireland, the Eastern Roman Empire, Norway, France and England, the climax being the Battle of Stamford Bridge in 1066, the denouement being Thorglis's old age in in a Christian/Norman Britan. A warning: there is an air/underpinning of new-agey, romanticized ( Neo-)Paganism about the books, both from a Norse and Celtic/Druid perspective. Thorglis, at times at times a Christian monk (in name), remains at heart a staunch crypto-pagan recusant to his death, even as the world around him converts or is forcefully converted to Christianity. His insightful cynicism reveals a distrubing relationship between Christian conversion and the mundane politics of power. A most interesting and enjoyable read.

And

Neil Shubin's Your Inner Fish

Your Inner Fish at Random House

Shubin is an engaging writer. Writing for a non-scientific audience, he outlines recent thoughts about vertebrate evolution in easily read discussions of palentology, physiology, and molecular biology, all with reference to the human body. A fun read through materials and ideas that could very easily be heavy sledding in another writer's hands.

It is my pure and virtuous heart that
    gives me the strength of ten!
    Last edited by houseisland; May 29th, 2008 at 10:26 PM.

Geez, House! I feel sort of stupid reading Sci-fi after seeing what you are cuurntly reading! Very impressive! Also, I listen to books on tape in the car and just finished Alan Weisman's "The World Without Us."
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

been on a Gene Wolfe kick the last couple of weeks. Reread There are Doors, Free! Live Free!, and the Book of the New Sun tetralogy.

House, if you like Inner Fish, here's a site you may enjoy, if you're not already familiar with it. pandasthumb.org

Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d
    I feel sort of stupid reading Sci-fi!
    Hey.. there Guts.. you have to get over this. Writers like Arthur C. Clarke and Kurt Vonnegut long ago established that there is absolutely nothing wrong with SciFi. I, myself, have a fondness for Harry Harrison.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    House, if you like Inner Fish, here's a site you may enjoy, if you're not already familiar with it. pandasthumb.org
    Cool. Thanks.

I have many books I've been reading off and on. The latest to my collection that I picked up is Hagakure.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Harry Harrison, Arthur C. Clarke, Robert Heinlein, etc. are all excellent writers. I wish that they would make a big budget movie out of the Stainless Steel Rat.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d
    I wish that they would make a big budget movie out of the Stainless Steel Rat.
    Heh.. heh.. heh.. the one I would really like to see is Star Smashers of the Galaxie Rangers.

Amazon.co.uk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Sm...Galaxy_Rangers

Last edited by houseisland; May 31st, 2008 at 11:05 AM.

Another fine Harrison book, along with the Deathworld trilogy. Hollywood, take note: we don't need to re-make "Planet of the Apes" with Marky Mark for the upteenth time, just look to the local bookshelves! Frederik Pohl's "Gateway" and Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game" come to mind immediately.
    Last edited by Guts3d; June 1st, 2008 at 05:25 AM.

This is the last couple of weeks

Foos, T., Schum, G., & Rothenberg, S., (2006) Tacit knowledge transfer and the knowledge disconnect. Journal Of Knowledge Management. 10 (1)p. 6-18 Available from: http://kuo.bm.nsysu.edu.tw/seminar/pom/2006/kmTacit.pdf [accessed 30 May 2008]

Friedrich, W., van der Poll, J. A. (2007) Towards a Methodology to Elicit Tacit Domain Knowledge from Users. Interdisciplinary Journal of Information, Knowledge, and Management Vol 2 Available from: http://ijikm.org/Volume2/IJIKMv2p179...iedrich328.pdf [accessed 30 May 2008]

Glaser, B. and Strauss, A. (1967) The Discovery of Grounded Theory Strategies for Qualitative Research New York: Aldine De Gruyter

Goguen Joseph A., Linde, Charlotte, (1993) Techniques for Requirements Elicitation. Proceedings, Requirements Engineering '93 p 152-164

Gommans, M., Krishnan, K. S., Scheffold, K. B., (2001) From Brand Loyalty to E-Loyalty: A Conceptual Framework. Journal of Economic and Social Research 3(1) p43-58

Hickey and Davis (2003) Elicitation technique selection: how do experts do it? Proceedings of the 11th IEEE International Requirements Engineering Conference p 169 – 178 Available from http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/lo...number=1232748 [accessed 30 May 2008]

Jones, S.R. (1992) Was there a Hawthorne Effect? The American Journal of Sociology, Vol. 98, No. 3 p. 451-468 Available from
    http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/ec...hive/91-01.pdf [accessed 30 May 2008]

McAllister, D. J. (1995) Affect- And Cognition-Based Trust As
    Foundations For Interpersonal Cooperation In Organizations. Academy of Management 58 (1) p. 24 -59. Available from: http://www.jstor.org/pss/256727 [accessed 30 May 2008]

McGhee, G., Marland, R., Atkinson J., (2007) Grounded theory research: literature reviewing and reflexivity. Journal of Advanced Nursing 60 (3) p. 334–342 Available from http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi...ournalCode=jan [accessed 30 May 2008]

Rocco, E , Finholt, T., Hofer, E., and Herbsleb, J. (2000)Designing as if trust mattered. Collaboratory for Research on Electronic Work (CREW) tech. rep., University of Michigan. Available from http://www.crew.umich.edu/publications/tr_00_05.html [accessed 30 May 2008]

Stake, R (2003) Case Studies. In Strategies of Qualitative Inquiry, eds. N. K. Denzin and Y. S. Lincoln, p.134-165. London: Sage Publications

Strauss and Corbin (1990) The Basics of Qualitative Research Grounded Theory Procedures and Techniques London: Sage Publications

Suddaby, R (2006) From The Editors: What Grounded Theory Is Not. Academy of Management Journal (49) 4, p633–642. Available from: http://www.idi.ntnu.no/grupper/su/pu...y-ednote06.pdf [accessed 30 May 2008]

1997 Urquhart, C., 'Exploring Analyst-Client Communication: Using Grounded Theory Techniques to Investigate Interaction in Informal Requirements' In Information Systems and Qualitative Research, ed. A. S. Lee, J. Liebenau, & J. I. DeGross (ed.), 149-181. Philadephia: Chapman & Hall

Yin, R. K., (1994) Case Study Research Design and Methods. London: Sage Publications

Yin, R. K., (2003) Applications of Case Study Research. London: Sage Publications

Next week I can get back to Terry Pratchett - way more sane!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    This is the last couple of weeks
    For your thesis presumably?

Nope, she is just a super-genius sent here to make me feel inferior. ( Guts3d bows in England's general direction)

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Next week I can get back to Terry Pratchett - way more sane!
    I can see why you're looking forward to visiting Ankh-Morpork, Noo! I don't think I'll do a Pratchett next week, but just upstream from him on my bookshelf is Tim Powers, and I may just read Declare, and On Stranger Tides again. For some reason, Powers always puts me in the mood for some Lucius Shepherd.

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus
    For your thesis presumably?
    Not yet... that's the list I ended up with as to why I should be allowed to do a thesis
    3 years down the line, I would hope there are some better things to read!!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

... Guts3d hides his comic books under the sofa hoping no one saw them...