Whatcha been reading lately? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Whatcha been reading lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d
    ... Guts3d hides his comic books under the sofa hoping no one saw them...
    Gimmmeeee! I want something sensible to read!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

No way. you'll just pick them apart and I'll feel even dumber.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Nope, I pick academic texts apart - if only to yell why don't you use normal language!!! If those texts were written in less dense language, a few more useful things might be in circulation now.

Comics I enjoy at face value. That's what they are for, suspension of disbelief and sheer entertainment.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

... Guts3d hides his comic books under the sofa hoping no one saw them...

No way. you'll just pick them apart and I'll feel even dumber.
    Hey .. Guts... don't worry about it too much..

(Link maybe not safe for work)

http://www.yahoodrummers.com/davey/k...tellectual.jpg

It is my pure and virtuous heart that
    gives me the strength of ten!
    Last edited by houseisland; June 5th, 2008 at 11:43 PM.

Hahaha!! Nice find, House! Gives new meaning to the phrase " I just had a brain fart..."
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Great minds stink alike.

Stinkin' thinkin' huh?

ooh those viking books look really good... I haven't read anything good since I ran out of Dan Brown but one of my friends has just published a thriller I am going to take a look at his name is DH dublin
    My Photography = Images of Hervey Bay photography by Maggie Macleod

my facebook to chat and interact and learn about ME
    http://www.facebook.com/mayet666

Time to resurrect this old thread! I just finished John Scalzi's "Old Mans War", "Ghost Brigade", " The Last Colony" and finally " Zoe's War". Top shelf stuff in the Heinlein vein.

I read the last non-technical book about 19 years ago
    For some reason women appeared as a better alternative to reading
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Books never tell you no...

Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d View Post
    Books never tell you no...
    And the worst thing you can get from a book is a paper cut. ahem.
    What I've been reading lately is bunches of Bernard Cornwell and several of P.C Doherty's ancient and Medieval mysteries. Most recently read book is Nelson Demille's Up Country. Highly recommended to anyone who likes a good mystery, but most particularly to anyone of draft age during the Vietnam War, or anyone who is interested in what the war was really like. DeMille is a veteran, and he isn't an apologist for the war, nor does he pull any punches describing how the war was fought.

In less auspicious news, I have a friend who has nagged me for years to read Terry Goodkind. So I did. Woot! Can't decide if Goodkind or Robert Jordan is the worse writer! No cliche is too tired to be ignored, and there was one decent, exciting scene about every 120 pages. Plus, Goodkind dispenses the kind of philosophical discussions most of us had in Junior High. Eh, that would be Middle School to some of you.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    ...read Terry Goodkind. So I did. Woot! Can't decide if Goodkind or Robert Jordan is the worse writer! ....
    Was it the Legend of the Seeker series? I just finished watching the series and tried to read the book. I like mindless stuff for reading and had a hard time concentrating. I'm going to try the book on cd and listen to the book in my car.

The last good book I read was the Girl With the Dragon Tatoo series. I liked those books, couldn't put them down. Guys probably would not like them, but I'm not a guy, so I did.
    When you’re left out of the club, you know it, when you’re in the club, you don’t see what the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Eyed View Post
    Was it the Legend of the Seeker series? I just finished watching the series and tried to read the book. I like mindless stuff for reading and had a hard time concentrating. I'm going to try the book on cd and listen to the book in my car.

The last good book I read was the Girl With the Dragon Tatoo series. I liked those books, couldn't put them down. Guys probably would not like them, but I'm not a guy, so I did.
    Yep, Goodkind's work is the basis for Legend of the Seeker. But that's just the start of what he's written. Essentially, he's got an endless series where nothing significant happens for book after book.

Hey! How could anyone not like The Girl... series? Worst criticism I have of the books is that Dragon Tatoo lacked a little bit of focus, and some of Blomkvist's involvement with the Vanger family was excess verbiage that should have been pared back.

Seen the movies? I think they are some of the best book adaptations for the screen ever. Hornet's Nest was my favorite movie of the 3, and in part I think that's because I saw the film before I read the book and didn't have any preconceptions about how the film should work.

The cast and direction were consistently excellent, and I have a hard time imagining an actress who could have done a better job playing Salander than Noomi Rapace; especially the subtle but significant shift in character between Dragon Tattoo and Fire. Great books, excellent movies.

I have not yet seen the movies, but I have Dragon Tatoo waiting to be watched. I've heard conflicting critiques. My doctor said it was bad, because of the content not the production. My hairdresser said it was bad production.

I'm still going to watch it.
    When you’re left out of the club, you know it, when you’re in the club, you don’t see what the problem is.