KeyFinder Discusion (argument)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: KeyFinder Discusion (argument)

KeyFinder Discusion (argument)

To settle an argument about whether or not magic jellybean and produkey could recover a windows xp key code off a non bootable crashed system that was mounted as a slave drive I tried it out and YES it sure can and not only the windows code also any other MS software you have on it.

The "YES IT CAN" wins the argument.
    Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind

I second that
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

I thought the magic jellybean malicious message was a false positive... NOD32 doesn't flag it just the craptacular mcafee and norton do. Then again McAfee and Norton also flag other useful programs that are legitimate too.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Niclo Iste
    I thought the magic jellybean malicious message was a false positive
    Yes, there are known issues with this and other tools being flagged as malicious by some scanners, in a way which can be regarded as a false positive. For example, Avira is one that had or has such, and the advice on Avira forums was to add Jellybean to the exceptions list, which would not have been Avira's advice if bean was actually a malicious program.

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php...threadid=32575

The problem with a false positive is that it could disguise a single instance of a program that is not of itself malicious, having become malicious eg arriving infected because it was downloaded from a dubious source.

Like other techs, I have several tools that AVs may flag, because the heuristics finds things like code injection that the tools use, which can also be used by malicious programs such as rootkits. (Comodo firewall also watches programs for code injection.) That doesn't necessarily mean the programs I have are malicious.

Another possible cause for detecting software as potentially malicious is context. A corporate security suite can be justified in concluding that a program is capable of breaching security restrictions and flag it for this reason. This is the same reason that Jellybean comments that you may need Admin rights to perform functions under Vista.

Wikipedia: Key Signature

As for finding keys, hmmm.. D Minor ... the saddest of all keys.

D Minor link may not be suitable for work.

It is my pure and virtuous heart that
    gives me the strength of ten!

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak
    To settle an argument about whether or not magic jellybean and produkey could recover a windows xp key code off a non bootable crashed system that was mounted as a slave drive I tried it out and YES it sure can and not only the windows code also any other MS software you have on it.

The "YES IT CAN" wins the argument.
    Glad it worked for you.
    Sergeant WOTPP

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    couldn't resist....

Sergeant WOTPP

Quote Originally Posted by OMGmissinglink
    This issue reverts to what Our Company's Policy is:

We do not suggest clients or customers to use such programs.. rather or not these programs contain malishous coding or not is not the issue.

Our Company requires the Customer and or Client to have a valid COA affixed to their pc, or provide a valid Retail COA. If not we gladly offer to sell them a valid Operating System.

As for closing posts that the mod's use on their discreation I suggest they check out the terms of the forums rules.

You will not use these Forums for the purposes of sharing or distributing viruses, licenses, registration information, software keys, "cracks," or other information designed to do harm to or allow unlawful access to any computer hardware, software, networks, or any other systems.
    No forum rules have been broken OMG. MJB provides information, as does Belarc and Everest btw.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by OMGmissinglink
    This issue reverts to what Our Company's Policy is:

We do not suggest clients or customers to use such programs.. rather or not these programs contain malishous coding or not is not the issue.

Our Company requires the Customer and or Client to have a valid COA affixed to their pc, or provide a valid Retail COA. If not we gladly offer to sell them a valid Operating System.

As for closing posts that the mod's use on their discreation I suggest they check out the terms of the forums rules.

You will not use these Forums for the purposes of sharing or distributing viruses, licenses, registration information, software keys, "cracks," or other information designed to do harm to or allow unlawful access to any computer hardware, software, networks, or any other systems.
    If it wasn't for MJB I'd still be looking at the huge list of license keys a client had for one of their primary apps for their office. It seems the distributor makes them renew once a year changing the key each time and it's on more than one PC. I literally had a notebook of keys they handed me and not all were catalogued nor were they in order. Expired keys would invalidate the program and I'd have to keep trying keys over and over until the right one was discovered. Thanks to MJB I found out on each system what it was so I could make a more proper record. I think as long as companies offer keys verbally and not in a digital form or hard copy form this tool will be useful. Yes I know companies should offer hard copies. Some companies just don't know how to do things that make sense though.
    One Script to find them.

I have had people ask for me to install pirated OS's before and I always say risking my business isn't worth it, NO. If the key is invalid I suspect it will tell you when you try to validate it. I don't think anyone here would suggest using it to reinstall pirated software.

The argument was that it wouldn't recover the code off an unbootable drive that was installed in another PC as a slave drive, OMG you was wrong because I did it first hand. Argument settled.
    Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind

Interesting, you have been proved wrong OMG, and yet no apology, just more rudeness from you. Shame.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Some people have a very difficult time admitting they are wrong or saying I'm sorry and in my opinion it's a sign of true professionalism when you can and the opposite when you can't. Learn from your mistakes when you are wrong and you will progress in your field. I've always been told that it's not making the mistake that is the wrong thing but what you do with it after is what can be right or wrong. Make any sense?

Edit: Looking back a few weeks ago I see NooNoo pointed out when I jumped to conclusions and I was an BUTT but I did apologize for the outbreak. Thank NooNoo for pointing out my rudeness. Sometimes we are blind to ourselves.
    Last edited by Kodiak; June 13th, 2008 at 02:16 PM.

I'll just make a compromise I won't say someone is right or wrong. I'll just say you can choose not to use it and I will choose to use it

Remember you can always lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.
    One Script to find them.

Aww OMG I wasn't flaming ya. I respect your opinions. You have had sound advice before and I'm not one to fault you. I just find MJB a handy tool. It's useful for the needs I have. Though as with any tool you are right it can be abused. I myself don't advocate software piracy and if a client insists that I get them a CD Key I advise I can't do it but they can feel free to go to as many virus laden Warez sites as they want and find the solution themselves.
    One Script to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by MobilePCPhysician
    LOL! I like that one.