What router do I need for a Sierra Wireless Aircard 875U?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What router do I need for a Sierra Wireless Aircard 875U?

What router do I need for a Sierra Wireless Aircard 875U?

I am using a Sierra Wireless Aircard 875U cause I can't get high speed internet in my area. I was woundering what router would i use with IT cause i am trying to connect to xbox live with it. Don't i need a router with a usb port on it? Please let me know if u know thanks

Usually wireless cards are not overly dependent on what router as long as the router supports the wireless card. Such as you couldn't use an old B card on a G router that does G only.
    So pretty much whatever you want after that
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Quote Originally Posted by JonDaviS
    I am using a Sierra Wireless Aircard 875U cause I can't get high speed internet in my area. I was woundering what router would i use with IT cause i am trying to connect to xbox live with it. Don't i need a router with a usb port on it? Please let me know if u know thanks
    OK, can you explain Jon, if you can't get broadband, why you want a router.. unless it's just to connect to your xbox?

Explain exactly what you want to do / achieve without worrying about which wireless card or anything... then we can work out what you need to do.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I need to know what router to use with my Sierra Wireless Aircard 875U so I can connect to xbox live. I want to use it to download songs for Rock Band and Guitar Hero. I don't have highspeed internet and thats the only I know how I can connect to xbox live to download songs.

You don't need a router....as such.

If you are on dialup, you just need internet connection sharing on your pc installed. What you need is a crossover cable between the xbox and the pc..

If the xbox and the pc are too far apart or you cannot run a cable between them, then it gets a bit more complex... you need to get the wireless adapter for the xbox and then set it up connect "ad-hoc" to your wireless card on your PC. You then bridge the connection between the dialup and the wireless card on the PC.

What operating system is on the pc and where is the sierra wireless card installed?
    Can you connect to the xbox from your pc with a wire? (cheapest and easiest)
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I am using Windows Xp and my Sierra Wireless Aircard 875u is connected in front on my computer tower in the usb port. So what is the best router to use to connect to xbox live just for downloading or is there another way i can connect to xbox live with my aircard.

Third time... you don't need a router

You need the wireless card for the xbox and you connect them together using ad hoc mode.
    Or you run a crossover cable between the pc and the xbox

Your xbox does not natively do wireless, you have to buy the wireless adapter. It does have a wired ethernet rj45 socket though... hence why it's cheapest to run a crossover cable between the pc and the xbox.

I went to network connections then right click on the wireless network connection i use to connect to the internet. then i went to properties advanced the internet connection sharing. I put a check mark on both then hit ok. It says an error has occured while internet connection sharing was being enabled. Then i pluged my ethernet cable to the back of my xbox and computer. I did an xbox live test and ip address failed. Remember i am connecting with a aircard. thank anyone can help me out here.

Do you have service pack 2 loaded on the xp machine? How about service pack 3?

You need to enable the internet connection sharing on your modem connection - not the air card! You have to create a bridge between the modem connection and the air card, but let's get internet connection sharing going in the right place first.

Disable internet connection sharing on the wireless before enabling it on the modem connection.

I have service pack 2 on my computer.
    how do i do all of this You need to enable the internet connection sharing on your modem connection - not the air card! You have to create a bridge between the modem connection and the air card, but let's get internet connection sharing going in the right place first.
    all i see on my network connections is local area connection 6 wireless connection 2 and 139 connection so what do i do? I have i a smart link 56k voice modem but don't see it in network connections.

OK let's take this one thing at a time,

In network connections, you have
    lan connection (numbered 6)
    Wireless connection (numbered 2)
    1394 connection (firewire)

How do you connect to your isp?
    Do you launch the ISP's program?
    Who is your ISP?

what do you mean how do i connect to my isp and all that? Please tell me how cause i don't know.

oh i double click on at&t communication manger then i click connect then i use internet explorer to search the web. so i guess internet explorer is my isp.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDaviS
    so i guess internet explorer is my isp.
    Another lost cause...
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

at&t communication manager ... hang on a minute... isn't that a broadband wireless service?

I was wondering why on earth you have a wireless card and dialup...

Jon, I don't think you have dialup or use a dialup modem. I think you might have wireless broadband.

In which case, the advice I have given you is wrong and you need to check with your wireless broadband provider - not sure if you can share their wireless broadband - give their support a call first. Explain you want to connect your xbox 360 to the internet and ask them what you need.