JVC GR D72U not capturing
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: JVC GR D72U not capturing

Unhappy JVC GR D72U not capturing

Hello,
    Im looking for help with this mini cam. I think I have tried every conceivable combination and method of capturing data from this camcorder. JVC says that as long as I am using firewire cable/ ports and Windows Movie Maker that I will be able to plug and play. Here I am...I already typed a long explanation for this and was unable to get it posted . I have used different software, ports, cables, and even three differnt laptops without success. I was able to get some video captured in ImageMixer (came w/ camera) but cant burn on DVDor transfer to Movie Maker cuz it wont read the file. Image mixer made the picture very small....I think that is cuz I used USB rather than Firewire. Movie Maker seems to be the more desirable program. When the camera is plugged into the firewire port it doesn't see it. It is a TI OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 host controller.

I think Ive tried all methods oposted on forums here too. Pentium 4/ XP/ sp3 compaq Presario2500 2.3 GHz.

Thanks in advance...any help is appreciated!

Welcome to Windrivers jtl4482

Sounds like you need a sanity check against what you have done. So let's start at the beginning.

Are you using Vista or XP and what service pack level?
    If XP are you using Movie Maker Version 2.1
    If Vista have you tried this version?

Start the computer, wait for it to get to desktop, with the camera in the off position, make sure the power cable is plugged in, then connect the firewire cable to the camera and then to the computer. Now put the camera in playback mode. Does windows react and install the camera? Look in device manager.

If it does, launch movie maker and click capture from video device on the left... what happens?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks, I installed service pack 3 yesterday thinking that might be part of the issue. Does that create a problem? It wasn't working before the install so I figured it couldn't hurt. BTW I am using XP, I tried the same sequence on my fiance's HP laptop with Vista and it still didn't recognize the camera. It seems like a silly question but how do I figure out what version Movie MAker I have? I looked at the link you posted and the icon associated with that version looks identical to the icon with movie maker on my computer.

I will try your startup sequence and let ya know if there are any changes. Thanks Again.
    JT

BTW I love your signature quote, it is SOOOOOOO true!

To find out which version of movie maker, open movie maker and click help then about.
    Service Pack 3 is a good idea.

Let me know what happens with device manager

Oh and disconnect from the internet and disable your antivirus and firewall since these can cause the capture to drop frames.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Nothing happened in device MGR. Movie maker does see the camera when it is hooked up with usb but gives message "an interface has too many methods to fire from"

I tried VISTA, xp, mac osx and numerous capture programs. Insatlls, uniinstalls, updates, cables, ports.

I do need the sanity check. I could have sent the tape out to be transferred but now I am determined after putting like 30 hours in this.

movie maker version 2.1.4026.0...I think. It also says version 5.1 (Build2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236: Service Pack 3)

Thanks

I asked you to use firewire specifically please.

You need to stop trying everything and start trying one thing and following it through

My apology for the confusion.

I did try the firewire and only the firewire exactly the way you said and still nothing in device manager. All other applications were closed. When I opened Movie Maker it said there were no devices connected and to check to make sure they were attached properly and turned on.

I was merely posting what I have tried in the past so that it may answer some questions before they were asked.

Right ok. When you plugged in the camera to the firewire, you are sure it was off? When you switched the camera to playback mode, nothing at all happened in windows? If that is the case and you get the same result on another computer, it is highly likely that you have blown the firewire chip in the camera.

Ok the firewire chip in the camera is something I guess i can't fix. I am certain it was off when I attempted the sequence you suggested. NOthing at all happened in windows, it didn't make the noise that it usually makes and the device mgr didn't refresh as it does with other things.

Any other recommendations?
    Thanks

Things that it might be... you might be confusing usb with firewire - that's happened before. If it is definitely firewire, then it might not be correctly installed - does the 1394 device appear in device manager?

this thread extensively discussed this camera with links to user manuals etc so you can check.

yes 1394 is observed in device mgr. Firewire is a little port on the left side of laptop. I believe it is 4 pin. It is exactly the same as the one on the camera.

Thanks

OK, so go through the other thread I linked and try and get the usb to behave...

I went through the other thread and I do actually have the user manual and Cd that came with the camera. That CDROM is for Image Mixer. I can get the camera recognized in the usb and transfer the data in Image Mixer but that is useless to me to make a DVD.

Movie maker recognizes the camera in the usb but gives that error message I posted earlier in the thread. "an interface has too many methods to fire from" When you try to capture the video.

Thanks Again!

According to this article it is most likely that you lack the MPeg2 codec for movie maker when using USB.... I find this odd, sooo a little more research and I get this, scroll down to the post by JVC-GRD65EK and try his fix for the usb.

Hi NooNoo,
    Thanks for keeping up with me, I do appreciate it. Sorry I had to put this project on hold for sveral days sisnce I had to go back to work after the holidays. Pardon me if Im a little confused..With your recent post there were the 2 links to the article and the other forum.
    The movie maker forum says to use the firewire and JVC-GRD65EK indicated that he fixed the problem using advice on the firwire off of the web.

Should I try to add an Mpeg 2 codec or try to find advice on getting the fire to work properly?