Texas law requires P.C. techs to get P.I. license and a CJ degree or 3 year apprentic

Thread: Texas law requires P.C. techs to get P.I. license and a CJ degree or 3 year apprentic

Threaded View

In one of the really, really Blue states.

Exclamation Texas law requires P.C. techs to get P.I. license and a CJ degree or 3 year apprentic

http://cw33.trb.com/news/kdaf-062608...0,486476.story

New Computer Repair Law Affects Both Company Owners and Consumers
    Every repair technician in Texas must have private investigator's license
    Licenses are obtained with criminal justice degree or 3 year apprenticeship
    Violators can face up to a 4K fine and 1 year in jail

by Pelpina Trip, KDAF33 News at Nine Intern

June 26, 2008

A new Texas law requires every computer repair technician to obtain a private investigator's license. Violators can face a $4,000 fine and one year in jail, as well as a $10,000 civil penalty.

Unlicensed computer shops will have to close down until they obtain a private investigator's license.

A private investigator's license can be obtained by acquiring a criminal justice degree or by getting a three-year apprenticeship under a licensed private investigator.

The new law also impacts consumers. Consumers who knowingly take computers to an unlicensed company for repair can face the same penalties.

Many computer forensics companies in big cities like Dallas and Houston employ licensed investigators. They provide litigation support to large law firms. However, many independent repair companies in other areas do not have a license.

If small computer repair companies are not allowed to repair computers, rural residents may have to ship their computers for repairs at computer forensics companies.

Unbelievable.
    Wait, it's Texas.
    That explains it.
    Last edited by techs; July 2nd, 2008 at 09:56 AM.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush