laptop touchpad frozen

Thread: laptop touchpad frozen

laptop touchpad frozen

Hi, i just bought this toshiba A300-13x laptop yesterday and after a windows update my touchpad stopped working, its stuck frozen in the middle of the screen. The synaptic touchpad icon near the clock on the bottom right has disappeared too. This is what ive tried so far:

Fn F9 to enable/disable touchpad.
    Full restart of the computer
    installed new drivers from the toshiba site.
    restored PC to prior the windows update.

I'm new to Vista and I dont know what else to do. Also, i noticed there is no "mouse and other pointing devices" section in my device manager, is that new to vista?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by zubymaster
    Hi, i just bought this toshiba A300-13x laptop yesterday and after a windows update my touchpad stopped working, its stuck frozen in the middle of the screen. The synaptic touchpad icon near the clock on the bottom right has disappeared too. This is what ive tried so far:

Fn F9 to enable/disable touchpad.
    Full restart of the computer
    installed new drivers from the toshiba site.
    restored PC to prior the windows update.

I'm new to Vista and I dont know what else to do. Also, i noticed there is no "mouse and other pointing devices" section in my device manager, is that new to vista?

Any help is greatly appreciated
    Greetings.

You seemed have tried a few troubleshooting options, personally if you have just purchased the laptop, then i would take it back to the place of purchase and get it exchanged for another one.

As it seems to be a fault with the actual machine, just curious though but could the laptop be a refurbished laptop? Or was it brand spanking new?

If it happened after a windows update, then go to control panel, programs, show windows updates and uninstall the updates you received yesterday, reboot. Does the touchpad work now?

If so, reinstall each update one at a time until you find the culprit. It would be useful to post the offending update here as well.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks for your quick replys. Ive tried the drivers OMGmissinglink posted but they didnt work. Also tried uninstalling previous windows updates but that seemed to fail. I bought the laptop from where I work......Currys (Sorry) I guess im gonna have to switch it for a different one.

thanks again

Yep, sounds like it's broke
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

OMG, s/he said s/he was taking it back to were s/he bought it... Curry's is open Sundays!

How is pointing out that the poster was taking the laptop back rude?

Have you checked the msconfig and the startup tab to see if the update stopped the program from starting? Did you go into the registry and turn off the startup software? If you did this would shut down that program also.