Multiple_IRP_Complete_Request STOP 0x44 (0x85FA1948 0xD63 0x0 0x0)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Multiple_IRP_Complete_Request STOP 0x44 (0x85FA1948 0xD63 0x0 0x0)

Multiple_IRP_Complete_Request STOP 0x44 (0x85FA1948 0xD63 0x0 0x0)

Ok, I got an interesting one... I've got a Dell D620 Laptop. If I boot it up docked, close the lid which goes to standby mode, undock, and reopen the lid to come out of standby mode after a few seconds I get this stop message:

Multiple_IRP_Complete_Request
    STOP 0x44 (0x85FA1948 0xD63 0x0 0x0)

Now each time I get the message, generally the first parameter changes but everything else stays the same.

Here is what I've tried:
    Update the BIOS to 10 and it still did it.
    Updated all drivers from Dell website. Shut down. Turn on. Log in. Remove docked profile. Shut down. Dock. Turn on. Log in. It rebuilt the docked profile and I tried the proceedure and it still errors.
    Used MSconfig to stop all the useless junk from starting up.
    CHKDSK from windows XP recovery console, which said it had found one or more erros, but the problem still occurs.
    MemTest came back fine.
    Tried another dock, same thing.
    Unloaded all programs, ie Officescan, IronMountain Backup Snagit, etc, from memory and it still happens.

I've found references at Microsoft to this error:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;273600
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;296734
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;294876

But none apply directly... The last one is the one showing the most promise as it refers to a stand by operation. and refers to

CAUSE
    This behavior can occur because a driver has requested (by using the IoCompleteRequest function) that an I/O request packet (IRP) needs to be completed, but the packet has already been completed.

Reading about it on various sites, diagnosing this problem can be frustrating as there's no real tool to monitor the requests.

Anyone encounter this or have some ideas at all?
    Last edited by arch0nmyc0n; July 16th, 2008 at 02:07 PM.
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

And the OS is....?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

OMG, can't believe I forgot that.... Windows XP Pro.
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

If you have it go into hibernate when the lid is closed, do you get the same effect?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I have not tried hibernation, no. I will try to find time with the user today to attempt it.

I'm thinking if it is ok in hibernation then it's the bios that needs updating or changing to a different S state for the standby change of hardware to work

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    I'm thinking if it is ok in hibernation then it's the bios that needs updating or changing to a different S state for the standby change of hardware to work
    The Bios is updated to the newest one available which at the time was A10.

Please define "different S state", I don't quite follow...

I haven't had the opportunity to read that page just yet, but I wanted to post that using hibernation made no difference, the error occured as it usually does.

I've looked over that link your provided and I think I see what you're getting at. You think if this is occuring in an S3 state that perhaps changing it to an S2 or S1 may alleviate the problem? is that right?

I've taken a brief look at another D620 laptop and I can find BIOS Power Management settings, but nothing about states.... is this something I can change in Windows?
    Last edited by arch0nmyc0n; July 18th, 2008 at 10:15 AM.

Microsoft says that undocking when in hibernate mode is a bad idea: "Caution

Do not undock portable computers while they are in hibernate mode. Hibernate mode saves the system's state to a file, including the current hardware configuration. When a computer resumes from hibernate mode and the actual hardware configuration is different from the hardware configuration at the time it went into hibernate mode, errors result and the system might behave erratically."

I know you were just using that for a test..

As far as I remember, if your bios and system support warm undocking..(while in standby mode) then you should have an 'eject pc' function somewhere in your start menu
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

The Bios does have Hot and Warm options for docking so I'll give that a try on Monday...

I tried changing the BIOS settings from Hot Docking to Warm and didn't make a difference. Tried turning off the universal docking option too, no change. I get more time on Friday. Anyone else have any further suggestions? I'm pretty much out of ideas....

Did you find an eject menu? Does the laptop have the "utilities" loaded? Might be in there. Would it really kill this guy to shut down the laptop instead of standby?

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Did you find an eject menu? Does the laptop have the "utilities" loaded? Might be in there. Would it really kill this guy to shut down the laptop instead of standby?
    Yeah the laptop has "undock" and while I've never tried it I've been told it works fine though having mentioned it I will check. Even the dock has a "undock me" button you can press. And yeah it'd really kill this chick to undock before leaving her desk. We have a bunch of D620s out there and none of them have a problem with this which is what is pissing her off, if it was all of them she wouldn't care. It used to work for her so she wants it to work for her again.

I'm pretty sure they have the laptop software installed, but I'll double check on that one and check out those power management options... good idea... I'll report back when I get a chance to look at it.