Kernel_Data error and freezing --- help!

Thread: Kernel_Data error and freezing --- help!

Kernel_Data error and freezing --- help!

Hello, everyone~
    I hope you'll be able to help me figure out my problem! I'm trying to fix my dad's computer. Yesterday, while he was on the internet, the computer suddenly showed a screen that said, "Kernel_Data_inpage_error 0x0000007A" ftdisk.sys address F8511642 at F8507000
    (I have no idea if the address info helps, but I figured I'd post it anyway.)

When I try to reboot the computer, it won't go into Windows even in safe mode... it just says Disk Boot Failure. I pulled out my XP CD to try to do a repair with chkdsk, and I got it to boot from disk and get it into the Recovery Console, but it keeps freezing up at various points during the process.

I don't know what to do. I'm wondering if any of you can give me some pointers...

The OS is Windows XP Home
    The computer is one I built myself - it has a Maxtor 120 GB hard drive.

Thanks!!
    Christa

Welcome to Windrivers jeleme.

Sounds like the hard drive is going...does it make any noise? The fact that chkdsk won't complete makes me wonder.

Quote from Microsoft:

This Stop message is usually caused by a bad block (sector) in a paging file, a virus, a disk controller error, or failing RAM. In rare cases, it is caused when nonpaged pool resources run out. It is also caused by defective hardware.
    You can read more here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true

no noise

Hello~
    No, I don't hear any noise besides the usual "thinking" noise when it's processing information.

The problem is it keeps freezing before I can complete anything. If anyone can give me pointers on what I should check it will save me time in diagnostics. I can take out the hard drive and try it on my computer and try it with different memory sticks... I'm a student right now with very little extra time, though, so I'm trying to tap all your knowledge.

I'll really appreciate any help you can give!

Quote Originally Posted by jelerne
    Hello~
    I can take out the hard drive and try it on my computer and try it with different memory sticks...
    That is exactly where I'd start.

Welcome jelerne: Before pulling, download diag tool for the hard drive and memtest for the memory HERE, run both and see what you come up with.
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

Backup all your critical data... NOW!
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

I would say being as its a maxtor its very very likely about to quit totally.
    It sounds like heat is the issue here. You need to hook it up to your computer and you need to copy files right away.
    The method to use is the freezer trick. Place the bad harddrive in a plastic baggie, seal it and put it in the freezer over night. Then take it out and immediately hook it to your system and begin copying. I suspect you have very little time to copy what you want off of it.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html