PCI sound card vs. CD-rom drivers

Thread: PCI sound card vs. CD-rom drivers

Angry PCI sound card vs. CD-rom drivers

okay.... i have a C-Media soundcard- the Thundering 5.1 model; and an Acer 50x cd-rom. when the soundcard is installed, the cd drive disappears. in other words, the BIOS can't see the drive and tells me "no cd drives found at all."

so.... when i uninstall the sound card, the cd drive comes back.... i have an MSI kt7pro2a mainboard with an AMD Duron 950 chip. i just upgraded to that board and my previous (ancient) board didn't have any problems with the sound card drivers. i have the current board and chip drivers from the MSI website.

any ideas? -TX Dave--

Check the I/O and IRQ settings for both devices to see if there are any conflicts there. That could cause it easy. Windows should report that there is a conflict in the device manager but you probably wont have any luck with that if you cant see one device.

What OS are you useing?

Have you tried to view the devices in safe mode?
    I dont feel tardy...

The sound card is installed and then your cdrom is not detected by bios?

What ide chain is the cdrom on? Is bios set to auto detect?

Windows will only see that which the bios reports is functioning.

Edit: Oh Good grief, I just went to look at the available bios updates for your board <a href="http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_detail.php?UID=99&NAME=MS-6330%20Ver1.0C" target="_blank">Here</a> there are so many! I am willing to be that a bios flash might solve your problem based on the fixes they have listed so far.

Make sure that the link I have put up is for the correct revision of your motherboard too!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Arrow

okay... i have Win98se, version 4.10.2222. i have the cd rom on "secondary master", and the jumper is set properly on the unit.

although i think the I/O and IRQ info is presented at the b&w startup screen, i'm not savvy enough to know how to alter those settings. i am fairly certain the Award BIOS is set to auto detect.

and, because i uninstalled the sound card, i get that lovely gray box alerting me i have a PCI media device without a driver, so i cancel that. i have a sneaky suspicion the Direct X sound thingies are messing with the MSI mainboard somehow, thus cloaking the cd rom info when the sound card is installed.

again, with my previous (ancient) mainboard, both devices worked together with no problems, so this seems to point the figure at the mainboard. arrgh.

thanks for all the educated input on my silly little problem, and big thanks to all who respond here on out. -TX Dave

Arrow

another oddity? okay-- i used the Windows driver installer to set up my soundcard instead of the auto-setup that launches from the driver cd.

and it has not lost the cd drive yet, tho' i've only done a single restart.... perhaps there was something incompatible in the manufacturer's installation deal.

we'll see........... -TX Dave--