What did I do right ?

Thread: What did I do right ?

Question What did I do right ?

I was called to find out why a network was not running.
    It was a cable modem connected to a switch. From the switch 0ne cable (all were ethernet ) was connected to a lone computer. One other was connected to a newly installed printer. One other was connected to a computer with a printer attached. Both computers used xp.
    The lone computer connected to the internet was fine but could not find the network. The computer connected to the printer could not find the internet or network...the message came up that there was a cable disconnected.
    I rebooted everything but forgot the sole printer that was connected to the switch. I tried new cables, switch, reset winsock, differing connections, ipconfig found nothing hence no ping success, etc. "cable disconnected was the message I still rec'd. It sounded like a hardware problem.
    The lady then suggested I reboot the computer that was connected to a printer and the sole printer. They were on a power strip...on reboot everything worked. I know what I did wrong...I think..but why did the system start working and why couldn't I connect and why the message.
    Thanks

Well to start there is nothing issueing IP's.
    A switch does not do DHCP. You need a router in there.
    Now I am not sure what cable company it is but the usual is 1 IP and sometimes maybe 2
    You need minimum 3 IP's that I can see so my advice is a router
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

I can only assume that the cable modem also had router capabilities as when the network was restored, both computers received the internet.
    I am still wondering how the network was restored.
    Would everything have been ok if I had remembered to restart that solo printer (that had just been installed) connected to the switch in the first place...and why ?
    Thanks for the reply.

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    You mention the power strip. Did you use the power strip to shut everything down???

What make and model is the modem? The switch?
    Sergeant WOTPP

The power strip was used to shut everything down but the lone computer that was not attached to a printer.
    I think it was a speedstream cable modem..forget what the switch was, but I put an Linksys Etherfast 10/100 5-port workgroup switch in to replace it and it made no difference...thanx