sound blaster 5.1 driver

Thread: sound blaster 5.1 driver

Question sound blaster 5.1 driver

When I built my new computer I decided to not get onboard sound. I got sound blaster 5.1 but I am having problems with it. I have 3 partitions on my hard drive. 1 for windows xp, 1 for windows 98, and 1 for my downloads. now when I am in windows 98 the sound card will not work. I donwloaded a new driver for it thinking I didn't have the right drivers but it still would not work. The my brothers frined got his computer built and it had the same sound card and opperating system(only 98). The sound card wouldn't work with his either. Could the reason be why that we have set up partition? Or maybe that sound blaster 5.1 doesn't work with windows 98? Please help and thank you.

I just remembered that in windows xp I can't the surround sound to work.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by robjm88:
    <strong>I just remembered that in windows xp I can't the surround sound to work.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Do the boards have onboard sound on them??

Ok here is goes.
    <a href="http://uk.europe.creative.com/support/drivers/eula.asp?id=385" target="_blank">Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Standalone Web Release for Windows 95/98/98se/ME only 04/02/2002 </a>

<a href="http://uk.europe.creative.com/support/drivers/eula.asp?id=322" target="_blank">Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Driver Update for Windows2000/WindowsXP 05/02/2002</a>

also update to Direct X 8.1 too
    <a href="http://download.microsoft.com/download/DirectX/Update/8.1b/W98Me/EN-US/DX81eng.exe" target="_blank">Direct X 8.1 for Win98</a>
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

Garak, yes the boards do have on board sound but that shouldn't matter because I have it switched off in the bios. could it be the mother board because we did get the same mother boards.

did you change the jumper on the board to disable onboard sound all together?

I am going to check my motherboard book but i had no clue there was even a jumper to do that. that might be the problem but i really highly doudbt it because why would it somewhat run int windows xp?

By the way I just remembered you might want to know what type of motherboard I have. it is an ECS K7s5A It is a socket A.

Downloaded the manual, that board doesnt have the jumper to disable it, so infact its only BIOS configured.

In windows 98, right click on the "my computer" icon and select properties. click on device manager and look for "sound, video, controllers" see if your sound card has its drivers loaded, also are you sure you have the speakers plugged in the correct socket?

G.