Install problems on new build

Thread: Install problems on new build

Install problems on new build

Hopefully this is the right forum to post this. Apologies if it isn't:
    I have been having some problems successfully installing some programs on my new build. One is a game (Silent Hunter 4), the other is an application disc that came with the DVD drive. I consistently get "CRC Errors" while trying to install the programs. I sucessfully installed Vista Premium 64 and numerous ither programs from a disc, but I continue to get CRC errors on these programs. I assumed a bad disc or drive, I cleaned the discs and even went so far as to download a digital copy of Silent Hunter 4. Same errors using the download version, which rules out a fualt with the disc or drive. The errors are usually media files and they always reference a discrepancy between the file and the .cab file. The error is inconsistent when it comes to the files that are bad, it never seems to be the same one.
    The only thing that has remained consistent in my troubleshooting is my system, so I believe the bug is there somewhere. Google searches on the topic say this can be anything from a dirty disc to a bad HDD to improper RAM voltage in the BIOS.
    The system is built from scratch, runs everything else fine. I haven't done anything in the BIOS except flashing to the latest version. I am a little intimidated in there, and I have a sneaking suspicion there might have been something in there I should have changed.

System Specs:
    E8500 Processor
    ASUS P5Q Motherboard
    OCZ DDR2 1066 RAM (2 x 2 GB)
    Corsair TX 750 W PSU
    XFX 9800 GTX Video Card
    Liteon LH21A1L-06 SATA DVD-RW drive
    Seagate ST3250410AS 250GB SATA HDD

Thanks in advance for any help. Again, sorry if this isn't the right thread for this problem.

check your ram,a bad stick will do just that and it does happen on new build,
    good luck,

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    The ram is most likely but,CRC errors also come from a loose fitting,or bad cable.

Have you checked this,or tried another SATA hard drive
    cable?
    "We Must Have Toliver Gravy!"Said The Bloody
    Little Yellow Lumbermen To The Forum King.

I have been a little suspect of the RAM.
    I took everything out last night to inspect for damage. I did replace the SATA cable on the HDD and check to make sure the RAM was fully seated. This porblem got to the point where it wouldn't even do a frsh install or repair of Vista from the OS. I am in the process of wiping the current HDD for a fresh install of Vista.
    Question on the 4 sticks of RAM. I read it differently. Does the board "support" or "require" 4 sticks? If it requires, going to have to wait for a little more budget to come in before I can solve this.
    Thanks for the help so far!

I would say it supports but does not require 4 sticks
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Bah, this just keeps getting worse...
    Wiped the HDD, tried to re-install Vista, and have been getting an error message 0x80070714: cannot install required files. Install was from the original disc (which worked before). Now nothing.
    Possibly a problem with the DVD drive? I don't know how buggy these things tend to be.
    I would hate to drop another $100 on RAM and find out all I needed was a $20 DVD drive
    Last edited by -Z-; August 17th, 2008 at 09:47 AM.

Ok, I guess we found the problem then. Never had a mobo before that required all DIMM slots to be filled to work correctly. I guess that's why I thought I could get away with 2.
    Since the "B" channel has been completely empty, would that make sense with the install problems I have been having? Especially since the installs work some of the time but not all?

Sorry for the rookie questions. I am pretty new to this.

Starting to see some progress.
    Found a thread on the OCZ forum which recommended some voltage adjustments to the RAM and NB. Made the suggested changes and got Vista installed correctly on the first try.
    Keeping my fingers crossed for the rest.

I will let you know how it goes.

Problem seems to be solved. Had to bump my RAM voltage to 2.0 and Northbridge voltage to 1.4. Everything installed and seems to be running fine.

Thanks for all the replies to help me out.