Gateway 450ROG Display Issue

Thread: Gateway 450ROG Display Issue

Question Gateway 450ROG Display Issue

User had me look at this laptop because the display would go bright or the system would not boot. After taking the thing apart two times, finally found out that by applying pressure to the area between the keyboar and the touchpad would make the display come on and let the system boot. I checked the motherboard with a fine tooth comb (non-conductive of course ) but could find no evidence of shorting against the case, breaks, etc. Put the system back together again and the problem comes back. This time I take off just the keyboard and start pressing on various bits to see if one particular point is causing the issue. Found out that by applying finger pressure to the small tab on the lower right hand side of the power board EMI shield, the system works fine, the picture doesn't disappear, and everything is groovy. This area happens to be just below the ATI graphics chip but I am unfamiliar with the round device that is right under the area where I am applying pressure. I found a small rubber foot and a cut a small piece of gasket to fit in this area and replaced the keyboard and the system works great. Before, if the display was on and I barely moved the laptop, the display would go white but you could still see a faint image on the screen and the only way to get it back was to apply pressure to that spot. Not real sure how I am going to present this to the user but the system is working. I reviewed several posts with folks having display problems with the se laptops but no real solutions. I could replace the motherboard but I'll let the user determine if he wants to spend the money.

That info might come in handy. Nice deductive research!
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Quote Originally Posted by OMGmissinglink
    Does this problem exist using an external monitor?
    Yes, that is one of the first things I tried to see if it only affected the LCD versus the analog output. Weird thing is, I could turn the system on, the LCD would be blank and the hard drive would spin up but the system wouldn't boot. Once I applied some pressure in this area and hit the magic spot, the LCD would come on and then the sytstem would boot. Any movement that caused the case to flex the least little bit would cause the LCD to go bright (washed out?) and only by applying pressure would the display come back. Like I said, I finally isolated it to the device right below the ATI chipset but I am unsure of what the device is as it does not have markings that I am familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by OMGmissinglink
    I'd suspect there is a ribbon thats not fully seated or has become brittle / cracked do to heat generated in lappys, another possibility a grounding screw was left out or floating inside the lappy.

You can download a simular tech manual off this webpage

http://fileshare.eshop.bg/most_popular/list_10800.html
    Thanks for the link and the insight on the cables. Acounted for all of the screws and had already downloaded an illustrated parts breakdown to verify the pieces/positions. The cables are a distinct possibility since both the touchpad and the keyboard cables are very close to that area. However, I was able to duplicate the error without the keyboard attached (I know, don't ask) and with the keyboard connected but not secured, I felt like the little dutch boy with his finger in the dike. Pressure on the "thing", the system purred like a kitten, finger off, LCD goes white and nothing else. If the user wants me to do further work on this, I will try and take a picture of the item. It may be an inverter or something but my electronics experience dealt with large, old, airborne radars from the 70's and though I try and keep up, I haven't been able to track this device down.

Makes sense...

User wants to replace the mobo so I will be able to get some pics of the device. I will post if you don't mind giving your two cents on the mystery bit.