Need a Vista OS driver for a Pioneer DVR-212D burner

Thread: Need a Vista OS driver for a Pioneer DVR-212D burner

Need a Vista OS driver for a Pioneer DVR-212D burner

Good day all,

I'm a new member posting my first message in this forum. Please excuse me if I am making any faux pas's here. I will learn and correct.

I am looking for an .inf formatted driver for my Pioneer DVR-212D burner because I apparently need it to proceed to perform a fresh install of Windows Vista Ultimate on my home system. The totally legit copy of my Vista installer DVD loads fine but apparently does not have a compatiable driver for my DVD burner. This problem is not unique as I see other postings on other sites stating the same thing but there is no solution. I have updated the driver's firmware to Version 1.22. Is there something else I should be doing? I did fire off an email to Pioneer as well. Please get bgack to me. Thank you.

HWS3RD

If you updated the firmware and it is the latest available that is all you can do. No drivers are necessary for the burner itself but you may need drivers for your chipset. Vista supports many chipsets natively including chipsets with SATA support. What is giving you the indication that you need a driver for your DVD-Rom/Burner?
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

If it is not finding the drive then either you dont have the cable on correctly or you have one of the chipsets that vista either needs drivers for or you have to switch the sata controller to achi mode in the bios
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

My need for .inf driver for my Pioneer DVD burner has been resolved

Hi to all and especially BOB IROC and Ferritt,

Well folks I finally got a solution to my problem. I actually got this needed information from another form. This information is as follows:

There are no drivers required for optical drivers. In fact, such drivers don't even exist. Vista is wanting a driver for the storage controller that provides the SATA port, which suggests that you have the SATA port configured for RAID mode (Vista should support AHCI mode natively). You can either enter the BIOS Setup and change the controller mode to IDE Campatiability for the SATA port used to plug the Pioneer drive or provide RAID drivers for the storage controller on the motherboard.

There was also mention of the need to update the firmware of my Pioneer DVR-212D burner.

Well, I actually updated the firmware of the DVD drive AND the BIOS of my motherboard. While the mentioned suggestions appear to have worked I wish to point out a couple of things. The first thing I wish to mention is that there did appear to be the option within the BIOS to change the portion of the SATA controller setting for my motherboard which was controlling my SATA based DVD burner back to an IDE compatiablity setting alone. It was going to be an all or nothing kind of deal. It was set to an AHCI setting because I was using two identical WD 3200YS 320 GB capacity hard drives in a mirrored configuration. And since I had already updated the firmware of the DVD burner to Version 1.22 there was only the option to update the BIOS of my motherboard which was an ASUS M2R32-MVP. Fortunately for me ASUS had just come out with a BIOS update last month and this is what I used. I wish to point that after I successfully applied this BIOS update I suspect that the settings within it must have changed somewhat because I did not get a prompt for a driver for my DVD burner anymore as I started the VISTA OS install once again. I state this because when it came to a later point in the VISTA OS install process where I had to choose where I was going to direct it to the screen depicted my two SATA HD's as seperate units and I had choose which one. But I saw on the same screen a link to "Load driver" and I clicked on it at which point I inserted a floppy disk containing the driver for my onboard AHCI SATA controller. Then the appearance of the screen changed depicting only one drive location to install the OS on. From this point on things proceeded as usual. Sorry for being a little verbose but I just wanted to be thorough.

Thanks,

HWS3RD

Um thats about what I said
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

"There are no drivers required for optical drivers. In fact, such drivers don't even exist."

Drivers do exist for CD/DVD (optical) drives, however they are generic and included in the operating system. If they weren't included you wouldn't be able to use the drives.

Your problem is that the you had setup your SATA controller in the raid configuration. It wasn't necessary to flash the BIOS on the or motherboard to get your drive to work, changing the SATA configuration to IDE compatibility would have solved your problem. Flashing the motherboard BIOS caused it default to a standard configuration which makes your SATA boot in the IDE compatibility mode. You should check your mirrored drives and see if they are still mirrored or you have a new drive letter.