Outlook 2003 Autoresolution cache problems

Thread: Outlook 2003 Autoresolution cache problems

Outlook 2003 Autoresolution cache problems

I have discovered a problem with autoresolution with my Outlook 2003 (XP machine). When I edit a contact to change an email address and save it, autoresolution still uses the previous contact card when I check names. (Note, I am not talking about autocomplete). When I click on the "check names" button, autoresolution offers up the old email address, and when I highlight it and click "properties," up pops the old, unedited, contact card. It appears this is a cached version of the contact card, because it is certainly not the newly updated version.

I have the same problem with distribution lists, where both autoresolution and autocomlete use the previous version of a distribution list after I have edited it.

I have tried deleting the nk2 file and that does not help.

The only way I can use the email address in the updated contact card is to go to contacts and drag the contact card to my inbox, which will then give me the ability to use the new email address. Once I have done that, autocomplete remembers that address for future use.

I have not seen anything in my research about autoresolution working with a cache, but that is certainly what appears to be happening here. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Scott

When you say you tried deleting the *.NK2 did you succeed in deleting it?. If not, rename it (*.NK2OLD or similar) and see if you also have a *.nick file. If you have, do the same (rename to *.nickold or similar)

If the problem is under your login credentials paste this
    %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
    into your browser window or windows explorer or Run and you will be able to see what files you have (NK2 or nick). You will see from this path that these files are not shared, they are user specific, so you must deal the user specific files.

Good luck

What I meant was that I did delete the *.NK2 (I don't have a *.nick), and that did not help. It eliminated the autocomplete cache, but did not affect the autoresolution cache. I have yet to find the location of the autoresolution cache.

OK

Maybe this will help you understand the difference between autocompletion and autoresolution and we can move on from there.

Autocompletion vs. Autoresolution - Many people confuse Microsoft Outlook's Autocompletion functionality with Autoresolution, and it's easy to understand how this might happen. Autoresolution attempts to match the first few letters typed into a new e-mail address with entries stored in a Contact folder that is registered with your Outlook profile. The Autoresolution function is turned on or off at the same location as autocompletion. That function is enabled/disabled by selecting the checkbox next to "Automatic name checking". Autocompletion attempts to match the first characters typed in a new e-mail address with entries stored in the NK2 file (autocomplete cache). Autocompletion DOES NOT try to match typed entries that are contained in a contact folder.

So your "cache" as you call it is actually your profile's Contacts folder, and you should be able to edit this directly by displaying "Contacts". As far as I know there is only 1 Contact's folder for each user profile, I am not aware of any caching function for this. Perhaps there is some way another Contacts Folder could be connected to your profile but I don't know how!

I'll keep looking but for now that's as far as I can go. Sorry

Lowland, I appreciate the effort, but now you understand why I am confused. As I indicated initially, I do understand the difference between autocompletion and autoresolution. My challenge is that Outlook is indeed somehow cacheing my contacts for autoresolution, because when I edit the contact card, autoresolution uses the old card. I have yet to find anything that suggests how this cacheing might be happening, which is why I'm hoping someone out there in the cloud has an idea. I have only one profile wiht contacts on the XP computer.

OK. Just making sure we are using the same terms for the same thing.

Have you tried, when the old contact is offered and is shown highlighted, simply pressing delete? I don't for sure knowthis works in 2k3 but I guess anything is worth a shot! I'll keep looking meantime