Setting up a Virtual Center?! (Not sure how to name this really...)

Thread: Setting up a Virtual Center?! (Not sure how to name this really...)

Question Setting up a Virtual Center?! (Not sure how to name this really...)

Hello, everyone!

I am in a bit of a pickle here...

Both me and my father need a new computer. I need more of a higher end machine that I would be able to play some games (not not absolute high graphically intense - i.e. World of Warcraft, and other future titles from the same company ). My father on the other hand needs a not-so-high-end machine, but still able to run some sort-of intensive applications while watching a streaming video in the background. The thing is that we would not want to buy two machines, because the high-end machine would satisfy both our needs (WoW is not that resource intensive hehe)... In of itself that is not a problem... The problem arises when both of us need the computer at the same time.

My school uses some kind of method that allows them to place a monitor, a keyboard, and a mouse, and then have you log in to some kind of a virtual computer (It says NCX-2000 Station # [1,2,3, etc.]). I need to be able to give my father access to a virtual machine with its own monitor, keyboard and mouse - having complete control over the guest OS - while I have my own separate controls and monitor for the actual physical machine at the same time. Is if possible, and reasonably inexpensive, to set something up like that at my home? If yes, how should I go about doing that? What kind of software and hardware will I need? Any suggestions for an appropriate machine that would work for this kind of setup? And lastly... Can I do this with a Mac PRO?

Thanks! I would appreciate any help. I have tried searching for something related to NCX-2000, but alas I have found nothing...

With respect,

P.
    If con is the opposite of pro, what's the oppisite of progress?

-----------

I mean, if I went round saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away! - Monty Python

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Sergeant WOTPP

Wow!!! Thanks MobilePCPhysician!! I had NO idea it would be that easy ... That would work perfectly for a PC! Can it be done with a Mac Pro though? However, I should tell you that the guest OS will be running Windows so my dad can run his Windows only applications.

Thanks for the helpa again!
    If con is the opposite of pro, what's the oppisite of progress?

-----------

I mean, if I went round saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away! - Monty Python