Move XPpro disk to new Mobo

Thread: Move XPpro disk to new Mobo

Move XPpro disk to new Mobo

My asus Mobo died and they still didn't decide which one they are going to give me to replace it, but it will probably not be the same one I had.

So.. I plan to use my XP disk with a new Mobo, by doing a repair install.
    I think this is supposed to work.
    One of the problems I think I may have is that I didn't change the disk drivers to generic, so it still has the drivers for the old Mobo.

Do you think this will work?

A repair install should work fine, regardless of previously installed chipset drivers. In the past, the only times I had issues was when there were hidden partitions or recovery partitions. Is the version of XP you have an OEM or retail box? It may have a bearing on the moving to a new board, as one dies with the motherboard and retail is transferrable.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Its just a XP pro bought seperately.

I have an XP pro OEM, that was bought with a hard drive as the qualifying hardware.

I've read about how microsoft checks the validation, so I would like to know if any of you know what to expect when I do this repair install on the new Mobo.
    Asus replaced my 2 years and 11 months old P5P800SE with a P5K-E.

I read this:
    "There are two versions of OEM Windows XP systems. One can be purchased separately, with qualifying subsidiary hardware, and installed with that hardware to an existing machine, to which it becomes bound. The software may be reinstalled and reactivated indefinitely as with a retail system as long as it is still on the original machine. It may not be transferred to a different computer. It is activated as described above, but if it were installed to hardware seen as not substantially the same, the activation would be refused as falling outside the license."

And this:
    from http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/oemeula.htm
    "If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do NOT need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC. The replacement motherboard must be the same make/model or the same manufacturer’s replacement/equivalent."

I plan to copy windows\system32\WPA.DBL from the old drive before the repair install, and then copy it back where it was, after.
    To avoid problems I plan to use the Dual Core 820, that I had on the old motherboard, then switch it later for a quad core.

Do you think this will work smoothly, or will I have to call MS to explain what I am doing?

I don't think you need do any of that at all.
    In fact I do it all the time when motherboards die.
    Just do a repair install and put in the key you have for the
    xppro and then get your system up and running then do the online activation. It should activate with no issues at all.
    There is no need to contact Microsoft at all other then the online activation after the repair install.
    Just a side note .
    Sometimes when the motherboard is radically different. Before I do the repair install, I go in to the bios and shut off audio and modem and nic and usb and firewire and anything else non essential till i get the system up and running. Then I turn them back on 1 at a time after required windows update reboots and install the drivers as I go.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html