What do you want from Windows 7

Thread: What do you want from Windows 7

What do you want from Windows 7

I thought it might be interesting to make a list of features and functionality that you would want to have in the upcoming Windows 7.

As you know, unlike Vista, there is little information about what's in and what's out. So I thought it might be fun to create a list of stuff and then compare this list with what is actually in the product at the various stages of public release.

Your suggestion can also be what could be removed from Windows 7 that is currently available from XP/Vista.

If you would like to post a brief description of what your idea is and what type of user would want this feature or function, I will keep the next post as the official list with who requested it.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

• NooNoo would like to see a wizard to move the user profile in its entirety so that user files are on a separate drive but cannot be seen by other users of the machine.

Currently if you move the profile, the files become accessible by any other user and moving the profile is not exactly easy for an ordinary user.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Less eye candy, faster and better file transfers. But most of all, set it up so that when I want to move a folder full of files, it wouldn't ask me two or three times if I am sure that I want to do so!!! Also, ask them to please keep the ability to do an overwrite / repair load as with XP.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Installing to a replacement drive should be less hassle. UAC should be tweaked still more to be less intrusive. My favorite example, clicking through UAC before you can access Device Manager. Dump the multiplicity of versions; perhaps keep Home Basic for the hardware challenged who don't care anyway, otherwise roll back pricing on Ultimate to the level of Business or a bit less, and kill Home Premium and Business. It would also be nice to see more performance without doubling my hardware investment.

My take on the subject

1. To be a slimmer more transperant OS - Vista is a heavy OS (lots of files, lots of services) and the OS works in a way that the user not always know whats going on. Personally I understood well Windows NT4.0 and subsequent Windows 2000. when the move was to XP - it all seems very blury and "black box" oriented.

2. Stop bugging me - I want Windows 7 to be thouroghly tested before going out to market. Its very annoying to always worry about "windows update" and all sors of Security patches. it should be out More stable. a longer Alpha and beta phases woud be appriciated.

3. more efficient RAM handling - this is no secret that Vista is very much Ram hungry - the new OS should manage memory more efficiently.

4. NOT MS blame - I would like to see more and more 64BIT native application and drivers. there is no sense on buying a 64BIT computer and running 32Bit processes on it.

Long live bill,
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

My wishlist for window 7 would include some of the following:

New file system. NTFS is getting pretty old, WinFS should be there soon.

A true network OS. Broadband is ambiquious, Networks a giving. Build an OS designed for this environment rather than take a standalone OS and push it into a network environment

Simplify what`s under the hood of windows, make it simpler, less likely to break and easier to fix when broken.

Less DRM/Use open standards when possible
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Definetly need the repair install.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3