how is this possible?

Thread: how is this possible?

how is this possible?

Hi, recently i have troubles connecting usb-devices. Computer says "unknown device".
    This happens with my 2 external drives and my scanner. Printer, stillcamera...do work, without any problem.
    Why is there problem for some devices, while others don't?
    (all devices do work/connect well on other computers)

I work on a xp sp3. Did a reinstall tried also with sp1, sp2, different usb-ports....no solution.

Stripping built-in hardware to essentials, building/connecting pc up...also no solution.

Weird, 2 weeks ago, it's solved itself, without any special doing or so. Two days ago till now....same problem again.

Welcome to Windrivers rubmer2

Are the two drives and the scanner separately powered?
    What are the makes and models of the devices that don't work?

How often do you plug and unplug these devices and do you use the "safely remove hardware" icon?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Welcome to Windrivers rubmer2

Are the two drives and the scanner separately powered?
    What are the makes and models of the devices that don't work?

How often do you plug and unplug these devices and do you use the "safely remove hardware" icon?
    All have their own powering.
    The 'don't work-devices' are: a Benq scanner, Maxtor ext. drive 500 gb, Western Digital ext. drive 500 gb, Freecom 160 gb ext. drive. They work without problems on other computers.

Plugging and unplugging, is done pfff....let's say 2 times a day? Scanner one in a while. I tried the frontal usb-inputs, and also at the back...same no result.

"safely remove icon" is a feature i don't know cause english isn't my native language, don't get what it/you means.

This icon
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I`ve also found that sometimes these problems relate to poor power on the USB hub. Try different ports.. i.e. front vs back etc. Also, you may want to see about testing with a powered hub.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

here is a thought.....check device manager and make sure there are no yellow exclamation points....I wondering if you have a motherboard driver issue

next thought... did you have a device fail while it is plugged into the usb? .. could have shorted the onboard usb controller...
    Last edited by markduren2458; November 19th, 2008 at 09:51 PM.