WiHi - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WiHi

We do, but I don't think they are ready to have a look at it yet. In fact I will be happy to just do it myself if they can tell me how to go about it.
    Yesterday I tried to allocate a different MAC address. Since you mentioned that the earlier one I tried was invalid, I had a look at the MAC addresses assigned to the other interfaces. They were all in series and only the WLAN interface had an altogether different one. So I assigned an address which was in series with the rest, but after reboot it again defaulted to the bad one.
    Dont steal; the Government doesn't like competition.

NooNoo, I just tried to google for the error message:

Error getting mac from BootLoader enviroment for wlan0
    Using default mac address: 00.50.F1.12.12.10

And it came up quite a few matches. I couldnt understand what was happening though. There was a page in Thai which seemed to have some details on this, but there is no efficient Thai to English translation service available.
    Is it something to do with my firmware version?

Could well be, hence why I told you to talk to the manufacturer.

it seems you are getting the same advice elsewhere

Why on earth don't you follow it?
    Last edited by NooNoo; October 18th, 2008 at 04:28 AM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I have already followed the advice and contacted the manufacturer. As I mentioned they asked me for my number and then nothing. I am waiting to hear from them. The ISP is useless. I have spoken to them in the past and they are technically incompetent. No one in the local forum has posted a log for me to verify if my case is unique or if it is the case with everyone.
    So today I checked with a colleague of mine who owns the same model. He gets the same message and his BSSID is also the same!! This looks like a scam to me!

You haven't even tried to get this escalated at the ISP? Yes, tier one may not understand what you are talking about, that's why you should ask for escalation.

I would doubt you would be able to change the BSSID. Have you tried changing the SSID and channel?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I was hoping that either I myself, or Huawei might be able to solve the issue. However, as you said it is not possible for me to change the BSSID. The file system on the router is read-only and the http config page has no option to change the BSSID. I have tried changing channels, and our SSIDs were already different. Huawei is no great hurry and they might never contact me. So now the only option is to contact the ISP. I will submit a written complaint addressed to the commercial officer of the local exchange. After that, it is up to them to proceed on this. I have already shifted to using ethernet and only when the other guy is off I am able to work on wireless. If only I knew who the other person was, I could have requested him/her to reduce the power setting on their AP. That might have been the easiest solution.

Why are you going straight in with a complaint?
    Call the ISP, explain the problem calmly and carefully and if s/he doesn't understand, ask calmly and politely for the problem to be escalated. Why is that so difficult for you?

Because whenever I have done that earlier, it hasn't been of much use. I have had to usually go and meet the engineer at the local exchange to get things solved. In fact this time it is not even the fault of the ISP per se. But after reading what you said, I will give it a shot tomorrow. I will call their help line and let us what comes out of it. I will post back.

Thanks

I have sent an e-mail to the Customer Care of the ISP giving complete details of the problem and requesting them to talk to Huawei about it, and bring about a speedy resolution. I felt it was easier to explain everything on email, so they can route it to the correct person.

Also, I made a small breakthrough yesterday. First thing, I went back to an earlier version of the driver (the new driver version seemed to compound the problem). Then I switched both my router and station to work only in 11b mode. After that it has shown a significant improvement in connectivity. Even with the other router on, I am able to work, and disconnections happen rarely and are tolerable. 11b is more than enough for me because I have only 512 kbps downlink and 256 kbps uplink on ADSL.

Let us know what the ISP says.

Sure will do that. Thank you very much for the suggestions.

I haven't heard from the ISP yet, but today I got a mail from Huawei. They asked me to try changing the channel and SSID. I responded saying that I had already tried that and requested them to let me know how to change the BSSID

Well that's a start... keep us in the loop

After 2 weeks I heard from Huawei again. They sent me the user manual for the device and asked me to read through it to see if it helps. I responded saying I need to know how to change the BSSID (which is obviously not mentioned in the manual).