Error in trying to connect to Canon ZR-200 DV Camera Thru PCMCIA 1394 card.

Thread: Error in trying to connect to Canon ZR-200 DV Camera Thru PCMCIA 1394 card.

Error in trying to connect to Canon ZR-200 DV Camera Thru PCMCIA 1394 card.

Hello,
    My laptop is connected to the DV camera via the Fire wire port.The laptop is seeing the camera and the camera is seeing the laptop. The reason the camera is seeing the laptop is because on the screen it says "DV IN". The reason the computer sees the camera is because the Pinnacle studio reports the following in a dialog box when I try to start the capture: The box name is : "Capture Device intitialization error". The box reads that Pinnacle Studio SE is trying to initialize a DV or Digital 8 Camcorder via a 1394 port. It then gives me suggestion on Analog Video (which I do not need to heed because I have a Canon ZR-200 which is a DV camcorder.) It asks me to make sure that my camcorder is turned on and is in the VTR/VCR/Play mode and is connected to 1394 port. This is something I have confirmed that the suggestion provided above is indeed true on my camcorder.

Your help would be much appreciated.

I also describe in the Word file attached my effort through Windows to install the camera. The computer recognizes the camcorder but says that it is not installed correctly. On contacting the Canon folks they tell me that there are no special drivers available for the camera. It is all plug and play according to them.

I also tried the following in order:
    a) Disabled the ZR200 driver from the windows device manager and rebooted the computer with the DV Camera turned on. I re-enabled the driver through the "Add Hardware" Control Panel. This did not help the problem.
    b) De-installed the ZR200 driver. Rebooted my computer with the DV Camcorder turned on. The computer auto detected the ZR200 and went through the process of "Found New Hardware". It tried for about 25 seconds and returned a message saying "Cannot install the software. Driver is not intended for this platform".

The Windows device manager reports the Camera ZR-200 in the "AVC Device Class". It has an exclamation mark against the ZR-200 listing in the device manager. The following are the particulars on the computer:

IBM T-40
    Windows XP Professional Edition Service Pack 1.
    1.6GHz Pentium 4 Mobile.
    Compaq 2- Port Firewire PCMCIA cardbus. Model: CPQFWCB

Regards,
    Bhotu.

Ok Folks,

Maybe I confused you all too much. So here is the condensed verison.

Canon ZR-200 camera when talking to my Video Capture Software (Pinnacle systems Studio Software version 9.4.3) returns an error saying that it is not able to see the camera. The computer is an IBM T40 with 1.6GHz processor and 1 GB of Ram and a Compaq PCMCIA 1394 card. The OS is Windows XP SP1. I have tried all kinds of startup sequences and still to no avail.

The camera appears in the "Device Manager" of my computer under "AVC Devices" but there is an exclamation mark against the Canon ZR200 (my camera name). On trying to reinstall the driver the windows "Hardware Update Wizard" reports that it cannot install the hardware as the "Driver is not intended for this Platform".

I have contacted Canon Support and they say that there is no driver for the camera. It is 1394 and should just work. The Pinnacle Systems support people (video editing software makers) also say the same thing and are saying that the problem is in either:

a) Cables. I am sceptical about that.
    b) 1394 Card. I am going to procure a newer pone. Any suggestions would be welcome.
    c) Windows software. There is a known bug in Windows XP SP2 but I am running Windows XP SP1. Any sugestions herre would be again very welcome.

I need your help. It is my Dad's 65th b'day and I wanted to send him a video footing of all my relatives wishing him the best.

Regards,
    Bhotu.

Anyone?

Hi All,

I changed the 1394 adapter to a different kind but to no avail. One thing weird is that the camera appears in the AVC Devices Section in the Device Manager of the computer. It does not show up in the "Imaging Devices" section. Infact there is no "Imaging Devices Section on my IBM-T40 with Win XP Professional SP1.

Now for the good news. I installed the same HW on my HP laptop with Win XP Home edition and I do am able to see the Camera and download everything.

SO MICROSOFT. GET YOUR **** TOGETHER!!!

Bhotu...

Camera

First thing which comes to mind is to get Service Pack 2 installed and then try again.
    Jim

How to fix ZR200 not recognized problem

I have a ZR200 and was having the same issue. I think it's an issue with not enough power being pushed through the FireWire port from the camera. What finally worked for me was: I plug the FireWire cable from the camera to the computer, and then ALSO plug a mini-USB cable from the camera into the computer. Voila! It recognizes it and works great. Just finished creating a DVD last night with this method.

Something else that might be of interest is that I can't leave the power cable plugged in while I'm capturing because it distorts the incoming video. I have to make sure my battery is fully powered before I'm ready to capture to the pc.

Hope this helps,

G

Quote Originally Posted by Bhotu
    Hello,
    My laptop is connected to the DV camera via the Fire wire port.The laptop is seeing the camera and the camera is seeing the laptop. The reason the camera is seeing the laptop is because on the screen it says "DV IN". The reason the computer sees the camera is because the Pinnacle studio reports the following in a dialog box when I try to start the capture: The box name is : "Capture Device intitialization error". The box reads that Pinnacle Studio SE is trying to initialize a DV or Digital 8 Camcorder via a 1394 port. It then gives me suggestion on Analog Video (which I do not need to heed because I have a Canon ZR-200 which is a DV camcorder.) It asks me to make sure that my camcorder is turned on and is in the VTR/VCR/Play mode and is connected to 1394 port. This is something I have confirmed that the suggestion provided above is indeed true on my camcorder.

Your help would be much appreciated.

I also describe in the Word file attached my effort through Windows to install the camera. The computer recognizes the camcorder but says that it is not installed correctly. On contacting the Canon folks they tell me that there are no special drivers available for the camera. It is all plug and play according to them.

I also tried the following in order:
    a) Disabled the ZR200 driver from the windows device manager and rebooted the computer with the DV Camera turned on. I re-enabled the driver through the "Add Hardware" Control Panel. This did not help the problem.
    b) De-installed the ZR200 driver. Rebooted my computer with the DV Camcorder turned on. The computer auto detected the ZR200 and went through the process of "Found New Hardware". It tried for about 25 seconds and returned a message saying "Cannot install the software. Driver is not intended for this platform".

The Windows device manager reports the Camera ZR-200 in the "AVC Device Class". It has an exclamation mark against the ZR-200 listing in the device manager. The following are the particulars on the computer:

IBM T-40
    Windows XP Professional Edition Service Pack 1.
    1.6GHz Pentium 4 Mobile.
    Compaq 2- Port Firewire PCMCIA cardbus. Model: CPQFWCB

Regards,
    Bhotu.

Welcome to Windrivers Gabbered... a very useful tip thank you!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."