Auto clear mapped drive history

Thread: Auto clear mapped drive history

Auto clear mapped drive history

i have a winxp pro connected to windows workgroup would like to know how i can automatically clear mapped drive history on these terminals.
    Thks for any info

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Map Network Drive MRU

The names are held in the key above... what do you mean by automatically?

Edit, they also appear in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\PublishingWizard\AddNetPlace\Lo cationMRU
    Last edited by NooNoo; November 1st, 2008 at 08:34 AM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

i mean auto delete mapped drives history every startup? btw is it possible not to allow mapped drives to be stored in "my network places"
    I've a hidden share but evertime i use unc path to access this share a short-cut will be created in my network places is there any way to prevent this from occurring?
    Thks for any info

I think you need to run a little batch file or script to replace the existing key with a blank key each start up. I don't see any utility for doing this.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

thks i'm using tweakui for win98 to auto remove it @ every startup seems to work but i'm still trying to figure out how to remove my hidden share for "my network places" everytime i access it

well search the registry for the name of the share

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo View Post
    well search the registry for the name of the share
    i'm trying to make this hidden share not add to "my network places" everytime i access it wonder i can edit the permission not to write to this registry key instead

You can try that... but if it expects to write and can't, then I have no idea how that will be handled...

Quote Originally Posted by kababoom View Post
    i'm trying to make this hidden share not add to "my network places" everytime i access it wonder i can edit the permission not to write to this registry key instead
    You can prevent any shares being added to My Network Places through Local Computer Policy. Specifically by enabling the policy User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Desktop\Do not add shares of recently opened documents to My Network Places.

To access Local Computer Policy go to Start Menu then Run command, type mmc then Enter. Once mmc opens go to File menu then Add/Remove Snap-in, click Add button, scroll down until you find Group Policy Object Editor, highlight it and click Add, Finish, Close and finally Ok.

Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    You can prevent any shares being added to My Network Places through Local Computer Policy. Specifically by enabling the policy User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Desktop\Do not add shares of recently opened documents to My Network Places.

To access Local Computer Policy go to Start Menu then Run command, type mmc then Enter. Once mmc opens go to File menu then Add/Remove Snap-in, click Add button, scroll down until you find Group Policy Object Editor, highlight it and click Add, Finish, Close and finally Ok.
    thks this could be just what i am looking for