First off I am new to this board so hello everyone.

Now here is my problem.

1) I was given an older Gateway desktop with an Intel 845GRG motherboard. It has a Pent. 4 2.4 GHz proc. with only 256 MB of RAM. It has onboard video, audio, and LAN.

2) So anyway XP was crashed when I got it. I was able to get a fresh copy of XP with SP2.

3) I loaded all the drivers beginning with the INF driver first. When I loaded the audio driver (which I received directly from Intel's website), the install program ran fine until the end when a warning popped up that said "Driver not found please reboot system and run this setup program."

4) I did that several times to no avail. I assumed the onboard sound was bad so I went to a local computer store and purchased a basic 5.1 surround sound card (non-HD).

5) The drivers seemed to load OK, but windows would not recognize the audio device. Thinking that there may be some conflict with the PCI modem installed, I took it out and deleted all files/drivers associated with the modem.

6) Re-installed PCI sound card and drivers- same results.

7)I returned the sound card and for the last 2 days I have been digging on the net trying to find a solution. This forum had a similar thread back in 04 (here is a link http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=55161 ) and things just got really confusing with all the different suggestions.

So here I am just hoping that someone knows what the heck is going on. The guy at the computer store here says, and this is a quote now, "Man sound is just really funny right now on Windows machines."

Yeah that doesn't help much does it. So hopefully someone here will be able to help out a little better.

Thanks
Hank