My Life in the Land of Suits

Thread: My Life in the Land of Suits

My Life in the Land of Suits

I have always tried to fly under the radar screen of senior management. I just do my job to the best of my ability and try to keep my head down. I dislike people who fawn upon management in an effort to hide their incompetence or laziness. I find those who are hard working and compentent and who fawn upon management to be dangerous and frightening -- generally one is well-advised to stay out their way -- the halls are littered with the carcasses of their victims.

Unfortunately and despite my best efforts to avoid such, I have been noticed favorably and am to be inducted into suithood.

Worrisome.

It is my pure and virtuous heart that
    gives me the strength of ten!

I don't know whether to congratulate you or commiserate! Does the money improve?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Well, seems no man (not even house) is an island...

If you've been noticed because of your efforts to avoid fawning, then it sounds like a potentially sound career move? Hope so.

Better you than me, I hate getting dressed up even just to go to church on Sunday morning. I can't imagine doing that everyday...
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo View Post
    I don't know whether to congratulate you or commiserate!
    A bit of both I suppose. It was more of a request than an offer.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo View Post
    Does the money improve?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
    If you've been noticed because of your efforts to avoid fawning, then it sounds like a potentially sound career move?
    I don't know why.

I always try to do a good job of things. In most companies this does not garner any notice.

I always help co-workders where I can and never knowingly hinder them. I help develop their strengths and help them overcome their weaknesses. In most companies this does not garner any notice.

I am generally too busy to join in the circle of flatters, not that it would ever occur to me to do so. In most companies this usually tags you as a loner or a social misfit.

The clients generally love me. In most companies this means nothing - no one cares what the clients think as longs as they pay their bills.

So in short, I don't know why.

Enjoy the fact that someone did in fact notice that you do a good job and that they want you to inspire others...otherwise, why promote little old you? Enjoy the extra money!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d View Post
    Better you than me, I hate getting dressed up even just to go to church on Sunday morning. I can't imagine doing that everyday...
    No worries here, Guts. The corp-cultch is sartorially informal. The "suit" is a metaphor for position and responsibility rather than something literal. As long as I dress on the right (correct) side of "grown-up" I will be OK.

Well, all I can say is that it is about time they recognized the talent. Working for the Govt. I see the most incompetent, lazy, smarmy brown nosers get to be bosses, while the people who care and do all the work get forgotten in the shuffle somehow. One guy I work with makes an ungodly amount of money per year and spends most of his time on his cell phone talking to his wife or buying pinball machines, instead of his job.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL

Smile

Well, all I can say is that it is about time they recognized the talent. Working for the Govt. I see the most incompetent, lazy, smarmy brown nosers get to be bosses, while the people who care and do all the work get forgotten in the shuffle somehow. One guy I work with makes an ungodly amount of money per year and spends most of his time on his cell phone talking to his wife or buying pinball machines, instead of his job.
    You can excuse him if he is named.....Tommy.

Remember The Who?

It's a boy Mrs. Walker it's a boy.
    It's a boy Mrs. Walker it's a boy.

Chorus:

A son! A son! A son! Suits!!! lol HouseIsland...
    "We Must Have Toliver Gravy!"Said The Bloody
    Little Yellow Lumbermen To The Forum King.

Quote Originally Posted by houseisland View Post
    A bit of both I suppose. It was more of a request than an offer.

Yes.

Great news!! Now you can think of changing your old belt drive FURNACEI do not remember if it was gas or electric?? Or if you even mentioned it
    Last thing I remember, running for the door,
    I had to find the passage back to the place
    I was before.

Don't kid yourself. Lots of Corporate America is no different whatsoever.

But, Congratualtions House!

Quote Originally Posted by xpuser357 View Post
    Now you can think of changing your old belt drive FURNACEI do not remember if it was gas or electric?? Or if you even mentioned it
    Sorry! Missed this. It is a 1950's gas furnance, robust but not very efficient. The heat exchanger is in good condition still, and it only cost $80 or so to have the bearings redone in the blower. Nice and quiet now. So no immediate plans to replace it.