Vista won't connect to internet through a ICS on XP
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Vista won't connect to internet through a ICS on XP

Question Vista won't connect to internet through a ICS on XP

Hello Again
    This all started when I decided to improve the quality of service to people who are staying at our guest house. After asking for help........

http://forums.windrivers.com/showthr...688#post670688

Antamedia Bandwidth Manager was suggested on the above link

I then proceeded to build a new computer on which to run the software

http://forums.windrivers.com/showthr...187#post671187

Started out as an AMD but I ended up building an Intel. There is probably a joke in here somewhere but I am too tired to see it

I finally got it all working perfectly, after getting all the bugs out, testing it out on my home network before moving over to the guest network

Oh if anyone is interested Antamedia Bandwidth Manager freezes up if you try and run it after doing a Windows Update of IE 7. Please don't go there as I spent a few late nights figuring this out. It works great on IE 6.

The reason I come to you today is to try and understand how it is possible for most of the xp machines trying to access the new configuration on the guest network have no difficulty connecting after making a minor setting change in the properties of their network card.

I added a default gateway 192.168.0.1 to their settings.

The guest with the Vista machine can't connect to the internet he only shows a local connection. The information balloon above the network icon on the task bar shows both Satelite 2 and Satelite 3
    I tried the default gateway setting but it didn't work.

The following link describes how to set upnp framework in vista and I have tried that.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...windows-vista/

I DID NOTICE THAT THE LINK ABOVE MAY HOLD A CLUE AS TO WHAT IS WRONG.
    Please take note if you look at the above link the picture shows the computer connecting to a network and connecting to the internet. The network it is connecting to is listed below the picture.

THE GUEST COMPUTERS PICTURE IS DIFFERENT>
    In his picture of the computer connecting to the internet through a network it says multiple networks in the middle between the computer and internet. His link shows and X between the networks and the internet. (I know its obvious but I thought I should mention it, THE X)
    The multiple networks are shown below the picture. Two different networks of the same name. Satelite 2 and Satelite 3 each has its own settings and properties etc I believe one represents the ipv6 protocol and one is on the ipv4. I got this information by checking out the properties tab looking for the tcp/ip settings for the wireless adapter.
    While trying the diagnostic and repair it says we have multiple active networks and we should disable all we are not using.
    Believe me I would if I could figure it out
    Not being familiar with Vista and how to clean up this mess I have come to you for help.

I can see his computer on the ICS Gateway and gave him an account. After 8+ hours of trying to get it to work I tried to connect his other computer an old xp and of course it won't connect either. Just to be stubborn.
    His old Xp didn't show on the ICS Gateway and I am not sure why his old xp is being difficult. I can tell you it is extra awkward to configure when you are guessing what the fields and tabs say.
    Oh did I mention the XP of his is in Chinese!
    Not that there is anything wrong with that but it just adds to the frustration when you are barely able to see.

My guest network consists of many access points (routers with DHCP disabled) all configured identically but with different names and addresses. They all connect to the DHCP server (router at 192.168.0.2 with wan port disconnected), which is connected to the ICS XP Gateway at 192.168.0.1

Any and all help would be appreciated

OK need to check a couple of things -

Is it just this one guest and the other guests can connect fine?
    Is the chinese xp and the vista on the same machine?
    Is the vista machine network set to public or private?
    Have you disabled the student's firewall for testing purposes?
    Is the vista machine pulling an IP starting 192.168.0.x?

And on a side note, have you spoken with Antemedia about the IE6/IE7 problem? With IE8 on the way, it is important that this get resolved.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Talking

Hi Noo Noo

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo View Post
    OK need to check a couple of things -

Is it just this one guest and the other guests can connect fine?
    Yes

Is the chinese xp and the vista on the same machine?
    No Just a trick of fate that both machines belong to the same person.

Is the vista machine network set to public or private?
    First it was private and now it is public.
    Which is correct?

Have you disabled the student's firewall for testing purposes?
    Yes we have tried it down as well as up.

Is the vista machine pulling an IP starting 192.168.0.x?
    The vista machine has an ip 192.168.0.x and is visible on Bandwidth Manager on the ICS Gateway. I was able to give the Vista an account.

And on a side note, have you spoken with Antemedia about the IE6/IE7 problem? With IE8 on the way, it is important that this get resolved.
    I sent them a note and I haven't heard back from them.

The Vista machine seems to have duplicated the wireless connection for some reason. As far as I know it used to only say Satelite for the wireless connection now it says Satelite 2 and Satelite 3. The diagnostics on the Vista points to more than one active connection and says to disable all but the one being used. When we tried some form of disabling one the other one either disappeared or it disabled as well. We have had a couple of different reactions.
    If I knew how to remove old settings and entries this might resolve the issue. Apparently he downloaded a whole crap load of updates the night before. He said he connected after the updates but hasn't been able since I installed the ICS Gateway. I had to change the ip of his access point. Everything else stayed the same. Gateway is 192.168.0.1 the DHCP server went to 192.168.0.2 and I moved Satelite from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.6. I am thinking I might have to change it back in order to fix it.(Should I be concerned with putting the complete address of my intranet items in an open forum?)

The signal from the Vista makes it to the ICS Gateway. He even gets a Icon for the Upnp ICS Gateway on his machine. It just isn't going through to the internet. If we do get a connection, to the internet. showing on his machine it is only for a few seconds. Do I need to open something up in the Gateway. I am always so leary of creating a hole in the firewall.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Joe View Post
    Yes
    OK so it's his setup

No Just a trick of fate that both machines belong to the same person.
    First it was private and now it is public.
    Which is correct?
    Private

Yes we have tried it down as well as up.
    The vista machine has an ip 192.168.0.x and is visible on Bandwidth Manager on the ICS Gateway. I was able to give the Vista an account.
    So it is working, it's just he can't see it... so with luck changing it to private and reboot should fix it.

I sent them a note and I haven't heard back from them.
    Keep nagging them - you paid for the software, you expect it to work with the latest browsers!!

The Vista machine seems to have duplicated the wireless connection for some reason. As far as I know it used to only say Satelite for the wireless connection now it says Satelite 2 and Satelite 3. The diagnostics on the Vista points to more than one active connection and says to disable all but the one being used. When we tried some form of disabling one the other one either disappeared or it disabled as well. We have had a couple of different reactions.
    Vista runs both IPv4 and IPv6 so you would see two connections - in the vista menu, click all programs, accessories and right click on cmd and run as administrator, then type in the box IPCONFIG /ALL
    Post the result (to copy, right click, select mark, highlight everything and then hit enter, then right click paste into notepad or whatever).

If I knew how to remove old settings and entries this might resolve the issue. Apparently he downloaded a whole crap load of updates the night before. He said he connected after the updates but hasn't been able since I installed the ICS Gateway. I had to change the ip of his access point. Everything else stayed the same. Gateway is 192.168.0.1 the DHCP server went to 192.168.0.2 and I moved Satelite from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.6. I am thinking I might have to change it back in order to fix it.(Should I be concerned with putting the complete address of my intranet items in an open forum?)
    Private IPs 192.168.x.x are not a security concern as such... everyone uses them - it's knowing the public IP from your isp and the private IP addresses that may be a problem... hence firewalls.

The signal from the Vista makes it to the ICS Gateway. He even gets a Icon for the Upnp ICS Gateway on his machine. It just isn't going through to the internet. If we do get a connection, to the internet. showing on his machine it is only for a few seconds. Do I need to open something up in the Gateway. I am always so leary of creating a hole in the firewall.
    For the purposes of troubleshooting, get it working without firewalls... then put the firewalls back and see what happens.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Talking

Just a couple of quick points.
    He is the adminstrator their is only one account
    I made him put a password on his computer in order to gain access. I thought that might be a problem. Reboot.. retry no luck.
    Changed the Ip address back to the original for Satelite before I had introduced ICS.
    No luck.
    Tried having him access a different access point which the computer has never accessed before. Do you want to say it or should I "No Luck"
    After I left him last night he merged the two ipv4 and ipv6 together.
    We just did the instructions you gave and the following is the results.
    We ran cmd as the administrator as you said. But it didn't ask for a password it just went straight to the cmd prompt after the RUN as adminstrator was selected
    The following is the results.

C:\Users\xuwei>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : xuwei-PC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-73-29-BE-B0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d492:f74e:2f19:b934%8(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.13(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 2008Äê12ÔÂ13ÈÕ 13:14:40
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 2008Äê12ÔÂ20ÈÕ 13:19:08
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.10
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{13439819-7634-4502-BDFA-B26A1D944
    608}
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

C:\Users\xuwei>

Is it possible that I need to change a setting in the ICS Gateway firewall to allow a Vista machine to get an internet connection? Different service or protocal.
    I noticed in his properties box on the Client for Microsoft Networks it was blank and I had him change it to Windows Locator. He might have changed it back to nothing in desperation.
    Is it important to keep it on Window Locator?
    Let me know what you think
    Thanks again
    Last edited by Smokin Joe; December 13th, 2008 at 05:35 PM.

Probably not relevant and I know this is just going to sound STUPID but I was wondering if the fact both of his computers are running a unicode of mixed languages would have any problems with ICS's firewall and do I have to make a settings change.
    I haven't changed anything, that I am aware of, from the default settings for the advanced tab of firewall settings in the ICS Gateway.

No the mix of languages has nothing to do with it.

This concerns me

You have managed to introduce two gateways and the dhcp server is on .10 and you said it was .02 so something is amiss in the settings

I did mention that I had changed Satelite back to original which was .02 and I moved the DHCP server to .10

So what is doing the actual dhcp serving? Have you removed .10 from the pool of addresses?

I guess I didn't mention the local but I did say I had reset Satelite
    Sorry for not detailing that.

Dhcp addressing takes place between .11 & .19
    All static access points have address's listed from .2 to .5 and the gateway is at .1

and what is doing the dhcp serving?
    How did the other guest machines react when you changed the settings?

Red face Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly.

So what is doing the actual dhcp serving? Have you removed .10 from the pool of addresses?
    The original gateway router on address .1 has had it address changed from .2 and then later to .10. There is no cable going into the wan port and it has become the DHCP server it is a DI-624. The wan settings are set to static because I can't see any other way to disable the Nat.
    Static settings on all access points (including the DHCP server)
    (Access points are Routers with DHCP disabled) and static address's
    are

192.168.0.2-10
    isp gateway 192.168.0.1
    Pri DNS 192.168.0.1
    sec DNS 0.0.0.0

MTU 1500
    Should the sec DNS list the DHCP Server address? .10

I think I will have to reconfigure back to the old way before the day is over and disconnect the ICS if I can't get it to work because it puts allot of stress on me and this poor guy.
    The guests have all been great but he has been here the longest and he just lives on the internet.
    I do appreciate all the effort you have put in and I do Thank you for your time.

Red face

and what is doing the dhcp serving?
    How did the other guest machines react when you changed the settings?
    I just started to see some problems on the other computers trying to stay connected now that I have been trying to fix his
    Last edited by Smokin Joe; December 13th, 2008 at 07:52 PM. Reason: So it wouldn't be taken out of context by others viewing

Red face Gateway "Does the Name have more Meaning than I realise"

No the mix of languages has nothing to do with it.

This concerns me

You have managed to introduce two gateways and the dhcp server is on .10 and you said it was .02 so something is amiss in the settings
    Could the NAME OF THE DHCP be causing problems?
    The Wireless Name is still called Gateway and it is now the DHCP server.
    Could the Name of the device cause a problem for VIsta?
    I will change the Name to DHCP server just for the heck of it.
    I will let you know if there is any change.