Vista won't connect to internet through a ICS on XP - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Vista won't connect to internet through a ICS on XP

True, sorry to hear that...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Exclamation

I really have to gooo.
    I just got this from Tech at Antamedia
    I will try to answer them tomorrow or tonight.
    Noo Noo If you know anyone with MS or MD (or if you meet someone who has either because they say things happen for a reason....please tell them...) there is a fellow...
    Dr William Code he is retired and is an emu farmer in Duncan BC. He cured himself of MS and he told me, because I have MD which is different
    "You need Protein Whey"
    I have more stamina than I did 5+ years ago but I have weakness in certain ranges of movement which is slowly getting worse. Allot better than it used to be and I am definitely greatful.

Support Antamedia
    Explain me which settings you use for the creation of the accounts.

Make printscreen of the account and send it to [email protected] in *.jpg format.

Specified upload & dowload quota can be used during time which you set when you create account.To specify upload & download limit in that time period use download & upload filed.

See yu

Ohhh good english!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Mine or their's?

Exclamation My response to ABM Support

After sending an email detailing some of the expectations, inaccuracies and flaky behaviour in their ABM software I recieved a response asking for screenshots of the software. Which I provided I also recieved a confusing statement which I have repeated back to the sender in the body of this post. Basically my response is as follows

Hi Vladmir
    Please find attached the screen shots you were looking for.
    When a computer makes a connection I right click the connection and put it in the accounts section.
    Next I give it enough up load and down load speed to be able to browse the internet. 1500 up and 500 down these are NOT quotas. You seemed to think they had have bearing on the quota.

In your email you said
    Specified upload & dowload quota can be used during time which you set when you create account.To specify upload & download limit in that time period use download & upload filed.
    I don't think the manual mentions anything like you just indicated.

Then I give them enough Quota (your program says MB beside quota field) for to keep them happy for awhile.
    5000 MB should be 5 gigs, shouldn't it. If I am wrong please tell me and I will put in a different number.
    After a very short while 12 hrs or less the 5000 MB is gone in the quota field of the customers acc. So I give him another 5000 MB and 12hrs later it is gone as well.
    There is a serious problem here because when I check with the ISP for the same period we have only had about 2gigs or less of traffic.
    Another problem after a day or two the quota amount doesn't reduce anymore. It seems to change in the Connections window when the customer logs in but he is given the original amount that he had before in his account, without any reduction from the previous visits. So if I gave him 5000gigs the amount in the connection area reduces but when the customer disconnects the amount left in the connections area doesn't update the account when he logs out or disconnects. All the traffic he just generated didn't get reduced in his account.

Vladimir

You seem to have missed the questions I ask in my email so I will repeat them now

I need to be able to allocate (monthly) how much each guest is able to generate in traffic.(quota) This way I can designate a quota for each individual that will diminish over the month, resulting in a record of how much of the total is being used by each guest.

Is this software capable of keeping an accurate record of quota left after a number of different sessions over a period of a month?

If so how?

If I can't get the software to perform properly I will have to ask for a refund.

Let me know what you think
    Joe

Just thought I would keep everybody up to speed on the issue

Their english... and yes I would like to be kept up to date thanks!

Well Noo Noo
    I have sent another email to Antamedia support requesting my money back (4 in all)
    Vladmir at ABM support requested screenshots. His description of the screenshot settings gave me a hint that if I was to adjust the time of usage & the quota's at the time of account creation it would work properly.
    In other words when the accs are created that is the moment you select Max time and Max quota.
    Doesn't fix the problem. 8000 MB disappears in 15 minutes usage.
    Anyway I am done with this version of the software. I detailed in the email that I might be interested in testing their software in the future but for right now I would like my money back.
    I CC Avangate (who collects the money) I CC sales for ABM and I sent it to Support.
    Still looking for a good piece of software to monitor and control a group of computers that requires no client installation.
    I need to be able to see how much traffic (in gigs or MB) each computer is using.
    Take Care
    Joe

All I can do is google for you.. I think now that you have a very clear idea of how things work (or not) you should search for yourself - but I am happy to give you search terms

bandwidth management
    hotspot software
    internet quota
    bandwidth quota

These are what I would use to start, then look at the first 5 pages of each, then it's a question of nosing around the site, the faq, the screenshots and sending emails to the authors..

Cool

I have been attempting to test out some other software but when I see that you have to create rules I get ....intimidated.
    Bandwidth Controller Standard Edition might be what I am looking for and it is only $30 US. I have downloaded a few but that is the one I am currently trying to research. It sounds like it might have some rules.... Sigh
    I will let you know what I find and if I need any help I will start another post.
    ABM at this point, I wouldn't recommend them.
    Don't take it as a shot at you Noo Noo you were genuinely trying to help. It really did look like it would have been perfect. Very easy to setup and very little in the way of settings.
    After posting on the ABM forum I was asked how I got the ABM to work. One of their customers bought the same software, a year ago. He indicated tech support was stumped so he never got it to work. He wanted to know how I got it to stop freezing. I explained about IE6 instead of IE7. ABM has continued to sell a faulty piece of software under the guise that it will be corrected in the next update.
    Ivan, at ABM support, has asked me to send some more screenshots to show them how the software is misbehaving. I indicated that TIME IS MONEY and that I had shut the software off. I said I will restart it wait for my guests to come home and I will get back to him shortly. I said the whole process was a waste of time. I ended with the 5 or 6 request for my money back.
    Take Care

On the rules thing, I am afraid you are just going to have to bite the bullet and learn it. Intimidating yes, rewarding when you get your head round them? Definitely.

Most computers use rules...
    If this happens, do that, if not, do this, and so on. The problem is that you perceive meanings differently to others - goes for the whole human race. So you have to sit down and work out what they mean.

If you want opinions about what they mean, please post the software in question and what you want to achieve with the rule.

Bloody h*ll
    How long do you think I have to live

You seem to be a stubborn sod... so quite a while I should think!

Trust me Noo Noo
    I don't think I am being lazy I just don't have the time available. Even if I was to get my head around it (I have always said I can do anything given enough time) it will be too late and I won't be able to benefit from it's use. Too many other things in my life will come to a complete standstill.
    Time marches on and I have to stop being stubborn and learn to do things easier.
    I know I am slow but it isn't like I have to reinvent the wheel.
    I look at some of this software and the statistics and details about udp and tcp and in the form it is coming at me it is useless.
    I think I am tired and I must be ranting.
    ABM has emailed me asking for screenshots which I cataloged the descrepancies and sent them back. I showed how clients login and logout without any change in their quota for their account. And other clients generate 10 gigs in an 10 hrs. They say that my system is capable of that traffic. I told them that when I went to confirm the useage at my ISP I have found that the readings were much less 1-2 gigs instead of 10.
    I keep asking for a refund and I just told them to stop wasting my time.
    I told them I have uninstalled the software and I sent them screenshots of their forum where customers were complaining that they couldn't get ABM to work.
    I will hold onto the screenshots and send them to visa if they need proof that there software is faulty.
    Nite Noo Noo

Looking at Bandwidth Controller Standard Edition it doesn't allocate how many mb can be used, it limits the amount of bandwidth that each person can use, so no one runs out.

Think of a bridge without lanes on it - one person at one end can call for a large amount of people to cross the bridge... but if you have two people calling for people to cross the bridge, one of them is going to have to wait until the large amount has crossed. Bandwidth Controller Standard Edition appears to put lanes in the bridge so if you have two people calling, the people coming across have to stay within their lane. The rules define how wide the lane can be for each person.

Did you want to be able to cut people off if they have exceeded their file transfer amount? If you did, I don't think this is for you. If you just want to make it fair so everyone gets the same amount then this would work.

The rules thing looks scarier than it is... you set a rule for each computer saying how much of the total bandwidth you have they can use. So if you have a 2mbs connection (and it actually runs at 2mb!) and you have 5 clients, then they can have 40kbs each. So regardless of how fast the webserver is, your guest can only get 40kbs.