Vista won't connect to internet through a ICS on XP - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Vista won't connect to internet through a ICS on XP

IE7 is better than IE6 security wise... as to the others, you will get a bunch of differing opinions... they deal with things differently so you can make it more secure if you want to. Try it with firefox, I use firefox as well as IE as some sites work better in one or the other. There is also Google Chrome to consider
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Exclamation Well I purchased ABM

Hi Noo Noo
    Happy New Year
    Well I purchased ABM the other day and I was setting up the Quotas that are available to the various guests (depending on their aproximate need) and was very surprised to see 5000 mb (5 gigs) disappear from one of the accounts in less than a day. I wasn't constantly watching it but in less than 12 hrs it was gone. Another 5000 added to the quota again gone in less than a day. The guy says he is hardly using it and when his computer was idle we were seeing 40 kbts traffic figures bounce up on the upload side of the scale. (On average the computer seemed to be leaking up and down in the low 20's and high teens. While it was idle!)
    It is a little difficult to look for problems in the statistics section. It only lists log in and log out etc not usage. Also it lists the ip only and this can change everytime we connect so it is hard to look back and identify who is actually logging in and for how long.
    In a couple of days I will be able to see todays and yesterdays internet activity on my internet provider account.
    I have been trying to find the forum for ABM and see what they have to say, but I haven't found it yet.
    (**Update** Google search doesn't find it but Yahoo does.
    I also found some information on how to find the forum way down in my email confirming my purchase from Antamedia. They didn't provide a link and I guess I missed it the first time I read it. I have registered, at the forum, and now I am waiting for confirmation from the administrator.)
    In my search for the forum I ran accross a couple of sites that have had problems with support at ABM. Hopefully I won't see any problems.
    I have noticed a couple of bugs in the software. It lists more computers accessing the internet than showing in the connection section. I think it might be a bug related to different ip's given to the same computer.
    If my computer has .17 for an ip and I close the lid and move to a different access point when I open it up and I remote to the gateway computer it list more computers connected than it shows in the connection screen and the traffic for my computer shows zero and yet I am producing traffic. I have to shut ABM (close and reopen) and restart and it will have corrected itself. It now shows my correct ip.
    Any suggestions on how to confirm if the ABM software is monitoring the usage correctly (in realtime).
    Last edited by Smokin Joe; January 1st, 2009 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Updating info

Unhappy Still looking for a solution

I am register at the forum for ABM and it appears that they have been having some serious problems with the Bandwidth Manager software.
    Freezing etc.
    A few customers were begging for help until a small statment from Antamedia said that it would be fixed with the new release but no ETA was available.(less than 10 were shown and there could have been more which have been removed by the adminstrator) The complaints started in May 2007 and ran until Nov 2008
    This was Antamedia's response
    Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:45 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bandwidth Manager will be reprogrammed completely as it uses the same engine like in HotSpot V1.

Since HotSpot V2 proved stable, we expect good performance after reprogramming. Unfortunately, we can't give any ETA at the moment.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know if you will be able to view the post but I copied the forum address. They have registered user security access.

http://www.antamedia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1018

I have gotten around the freezing by not using IE7 and am still running IE6.
    Problem is I don't see ABM doing the MONITORING OF USAGE in the way I need.
    I think the software will control quality of service for everyone. Limiting the immediate speed and bandwidth in day to day usage (or minute by minute) so that everyone can connect and enjoy excellent speeds.
    Problem is I need to be able to allocate (monthly) how much each guest is able to generate in traffic. This way I can designate a quota for each individual that will diminish over the month, resulting in a record of how much of the total I have available (per month) is being used by each guest.

From what I see so far this software isn't going to give me the record I am looking for.
    The quota field in the accounts section seems to be for each session and I don't think it is accurate. It doesn't change (in the accounts section) as it is being used or it changes too quickly (in the connection section).
    It appears to be flaky in that regard.

Can you suggest an economical alternate to record the traffic each guest is generating on a monthly basis?

I assume you are getting a refund from ABM!

I can't recommend any, since I don't run a wireless hotspot... but this might be worth a shot

Search
    hotspot software
    to see others.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Unhappy Refund? Right! I don't see much hope.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo View Post
    I assume you are getting a refund from ABM!
    That last statment reminds me of something my teachers used to say years ago.
    Never assume, it makes an *** of of U and MElol
    I can't recommend any, since I don't run a wireless hotspot... but this might be worth a shot

Search
    hotspot software
    to see others.
    As I said before My Search Continues. I miss interpreted how the quota was supposed to work and didn't see how inaccurate it was so I may have a point to ask for a refund. ABM tried to upsell me to the Hotspot software but I never even tried it so I declined. I left a message in your personal profile which contained the message I recently sent to ABM. I will be trying for a refund or a credit towards their hotspot software, if it will do what I need. Others have had problems with trying to get resolution with Antamedia so I am not sure what to expect.
    DO you think I should start another Post or continue with this one? (its title no longer is relavent)
    A different post might bring to light other issues with Antamedia.

Up to you if you start a new thread... this one tells the backstory.

Well I am contacting Visa at the moment and they are starting to give me a hard time about the "quality" of the service I have recieved from Antamedia Software.
    I currently have them on the line. Any suggestions as to other recourses.

Unhappy

Well I completely reinstalled the ABM software. And the Quota's are appearing to operate as they should.
    Quota's are shown in real time at the connection part of the interface as well as the accounts section where they are allocated.
    I installed Firefox and had windows remove IE6 prior to the reinstall.
    Problem is I don't know if the readings for the quotas are accurate.
    I downloaded a Net Meter and I will try and do a comparison.
    See ya Noo Noo

Well no need to install a meter in the lenght of time it took me to talk to Visa, enter a couple of posts the figures reduced by 4000MB. 4000MB in 15 min?
    Just not possible.
    Any explaination as to why that might have occured.

So visa refused to refund the charge? And did ABM also refuse?

4000 bytes instead of MB? Or megabits (divide by 8 to get megabytes)

Exclamation

So visa refused to refund the charge? And did ABM also refuse?)
    Visa said that I need to contact the software company. I said I had tried.
    Visa has issued a temporary refund waiting for conformation from Antamedia.
    Visa problem is "If you recieved the software and the issue is QUALITY of product Visa said it wasn't up to them to provide a refund"
    I stood firm told them the product didn't work and that it was up to them to return my money.
    Next call was to AVANGATE (the people who actually take the payment on behalf of Antamedia) and I told them I had problems with the software.
    His response was "You are the only one, I know of, who has had a problem"
    Best defense is a good offense
    I proceed to read to him the complaints in Antamedia's Forum, the forum I didn't have access to until I was a paying custormer, concerning this issue and he said Okay Okay....
    He also said that I purchased it on the 29 of Dec and everyone is on holidays till the new year.
    I said time is money. He said they will be back on Monday.
    Good... now how long am I expect to try and make this work? Friday? Thursday?
    Not sure what he said.
    I said if this isn't working by Thursday I said I want my money back! I also told him I have contacted VIsa and that they will be contacting them.
    He has email tech at Antamedia that I need attention ASAP.)

4000 bytes instead of MB? Or megabits (divide by 8 to get megabytes)
    Noo Noo You mentioned MB
    In ABM the contacts section showing the list of computers the speed shown is in KB/sec. Their is also a Quota section in the Connections area which the field in the Accounts section dictates how much is available.
    The letters beside this field is in MB
    Now I am going to be really embarrassed by what I am about to print.I ***umed that for every 1000 I put in the field I would be issuing 1 gig of quota.
    Sounds like I am wrong in that ***umption
    If you have a sec could you please explain how I am to translate or formula the figure that I would put in the field so that I am issuing 1gig or 2 gig or 20 gigs

OK
    1 bit
    8 bits=1 byte
    1024 bytes= 1 kilobyte
    1024 kilobytes = 1 megabyte

Now, bandwidth is (usually) measured in megaBITS not bytes.

MB should be megabytes, as megabits is usually shown as Mb/s (per second)

Given that you said it reads MB, then you are not far wrong... but if they meant Mb, then you divide by 8

Remember this figure will be for both upload and download, so every web page request uploads the request, then the page downloads (but packets have to be acknowledged and sent again sometimes).

You need to look at the help file for this section and see if they write out what the quota is in full words rather than acronyms.

Thanks I will try and look it over tonight.
    I have to go shovel concrete in the basement. Pouring a new floor by hand.

good luck with that, and make sure you don't get the concrete on your skin... slow burns result.

Burns hah
    I got Muscular Dystrophy now that is a bi*ch